E3D V6 - Volcano

Posted · E3D V6 - Volcano

Fellow UMers,

I'm considering upgrading my UMO with an E3D V6 hot end with the volcano pack so I can print hotter and faster with wider nozzles and other materials.

I'm very confused as to what I actually need to order though.

I upgraded my UMO with the heated bed and so it has a 24v PSU. SO I'm assuming I order the 24v E3d V6 version?

Then I assume I need to print a mount for it.

Is it this simple or am I missing something?

Even though the PSU is 24V will the UMO board ouput 24V to the heater cartridge?

Any advice very much welcome.

Jamie

@Amedee did this mod so he might help you if has time

About UMO. It works with 19V so there's no real perfect option to use. I assume that the 24V heater should work just fine, mind that it might heat slower? (this I don't know). I know that the 19V heater of UMO does work on a UMO+ 24V board. But I don't know how a 24V heater works on a umo 19V board.

You could also change a component on the umo board to change it to 24V I think. But ofc that might be more mods than what you where planning.

Also you would have to check that the 24V cooling fan works on the 19V fan output of the umo board. That I suppose it's almost the same, it might just work slower? I really don't know since I only have um2.1.x boards.

• Like 1

Yes indeed, I also have an UMO with HBK and I installed an E3D hot end.

You definitely need the 24v version.

I initially mounted it "as such", so it gets 19v. It works fine, even for high temperatures -- I printed PC at 280°C in this configuration -- but it is does not warm up as fast as with 24v. If you consider using the Volcano 19v is probably not enough.

You can easily by-pass the 19v step down and use 24v directly, I recently posted an howto for that.

Re the mount there are plenty available, I posted my own as well.

• Like 2

Yes indeed, I also have an UMO with HBK and I installed an E3D hot end.

You definitely need the 24v version.

I initially mounted it "as such", so it gets 19v. It works fine, even for high temperatures -- I printed PC at 280°C in this configuration -- but it is does not warm up as fast as with 24v. If you consider using the Volcano 19v is probably not enough.

You can easily by-pass the 19v step down and use 24v directly, I recently posted an howto for that.

Re the mount there are plenty available, I posted my own as well.

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated! Ill check out your how to for the bypass.

• Like 1