New UM3 Y-Axis noise/creaking only while extruding

augustj

Posted · New UM3 Y-Axis noise/creaking only while extruding

New UM3. Prints are fine. Diagnostic X/Y Axes Stress tests make no noise.

I also sure there are no loose pulley / gaps.

When printing and performing Y-axis motion I hear what sounds like a cyclical groaning/creaking from the extruder/print head area. X-axis is silent. This only occurs when extruding.

This is my first Ultimaker. I've built and tuned a Prusa i3 MK2S quite extensively.

The real puzzling part is that this only occurs while extruding - and is clearly isolated to the Y-axis. I've made sure there is lubrication.

This also happens for both/either print cores.

I'm reluctant to open up the print head unit yet since this is a brand new unit. But I'm completely stumped.

I've attached a video which demonstrates the sound (and that it is only Y-axis).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CS07pzpnT0

Cheers,

August

That sounds like the Z calibration adjustment. Try to do a manual bed calibration and see if the sound disappears.

When the Z auto stuff is at worka, the Z is changing to compensate the bed level.

Ofc maybe is something else, but I think that noise is just the noisy stepper chips.

• Like 1

agree, it is the active leveling, continuously raising and lowering the bed during print. The fact that you only hear it when the printhead is moving in Y direction means the bed is level in X direction, and not in Y.

You nailed it. Makes complete sense. Would be nice if the auto-leveling report if bed leveling needs some adjustment. I suppose this could cause more alarm than anything else; but for those who like their machines running silently, this would be nice to learn up front.

I went through the manual/auto leveling a few times to actually get everything dialed in. I ended up using new and totally flat of sheet 1500 grit sand paper instead of the laminated calibration card to get consistent results. I found it easier to find just the right level where I felt a tug. The laminated card slipped around more readily than the sandpaper.

Everything seems to be running smoothly now.

Thanks again!

• Like 1