Oy vey, baby....

Posted · Oy vey, baby....

Hola -

I've done (3) 20 hour prints of this part with no success. As you can see in the photo, it's a handgrip and it's bending at the end. It should be straight and flat and I have a raft support under the entire part. In the photo, you can see that I even tried adding a square column under the end of the part that stopped about 1mm away so that the raft would have something to anchor it better... It didn't help. It keeps turning up in a curl.

The material is ABS, I'm running 250C on the hot end and 110C on the platter, printing at 60mm on a Sindoh DP200.

Any ideas?

TIA

https://goo.gl/photos/yAZAMdpY4oHse7jJA

Hey there mate

So im no expert, just getting that out of the way first, but i have an idea. To me it looks like the part is delaminating and curling on the corner which iv found to happen to a few prints of mine. Since its so high up in the air its cooling and shrinking pretty fast so maybe try to give it heaps more surface area to stay straight. Try this :

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/39311-custom-skirt-brim-anywhere-the-user-wants-simplify3d-trick-peggyb-explains-how-to-do-it-on-cura

Let us know how you go on. Another Tip could be to put a cardboard box over your printer as mentioned before the material might be cooling too fast and the box over the printer will act as insulation to keep the temperature in.

All the best and good luck.

Thanks for the replies -

Regarding enclosing the printer, I've tried it on a Sindoh DP200 which is fully enclosed anyway...right now I'm running another one on an open Makerbot M2 but it has another 20 hours to go and it hasn't reached that area yet, so I don't know what the result will be.

I made the first few prototypes with PLA but this is a functional prototype (it's a nail gun in most respects) and I need the strength of ABS to withstand test firing.

What I'm trying now is a 12mm column that anchors the curling area to the platter and I will saw it off after it's finished - I just don't think the raft secures it enough. When it's done I'll post the result.