Anyone fitted a Heat Sink to a V2 Hot End?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · Anyone fitted a Heat Sink to a V2 Hot End?

I will have a proper heatsink on there soon... for now I welded up the hole in the aluminum plate, replaced the brass up tube with stainless steel, and threaded it into the aluminum plate with thermal grease. I reversed the fan direction and ducted it to blow air across the plate. It works very well. I've run temps up to 240* with retracts, and still no plugging.

I'm not so sure that it will work as well with the brass though, as it is much more thermally conductive. With the stock V2 hot end, the whole thing is a melt zone, including the brass up-tube. If you try to actively cool it, I'd guess you will just end up with a large transition-zone (not fully melted or solid), and a bunch of extra friction.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.8 beta released
        Another Cura release has arrived and in this 5.8 beta release, the focus is on improving Z seams, as well as completing support for the full Method series of printers by introducing a profile for the UltiMaker Method.
        • 1 reply
      • Introducing the UltiMaker Factor 4
        We are happy to announce the next evolution in the UltiMaker 3D printer lineup: the UltiMaker Factor 4 industrial-grade 3D printer, designed to take manufacturing to new levels of efficiency and reliability. Factor 4 is an end-to-end 3D printing solution for light industrial applications
          • Thanks
        • 3 replies