Trouble leveling platform

mmwDoval

Posted · Trouble leveling platform

I just got my Ultimaker 3 about 4 days ago and I still have not gotten a successful print. Somehow the platform is ALWAYS to close to the print head. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. This morning here is what I did:

• I tried to do an active level and got ER22. I could see the platform making contact with the print head well before it started to slow down. The whole print head assembly actually rose a millimeter or so.
  • I then did a manual leveling following the directions and used the Calibration Card.
  • I then wanted to try an active level to make sure things were good. I got a message that the range was bigger than acceptable for the print heads. It commented that it might be caused by debris on the plate or print heads.
  • I check each and found nothing, so I tried an active level again. It nearly broke the printer (probably not really) by pressing so hard against the print heads that the platform started clicking like the threads were popping as it tried to turn but couldn't go up.

What should I do to try and level my platform?

Posted · Trouble leveling platform

Hi,

This is actually the same problem we encountered ourselves the other week after we fitted a new head. Fortunately there is a very simple solution.

The fault is that your bed is set too high on the manual adjustment screws, turn them all down a couple of turns and then level it.

How the bed sensing works is that the machine looks at the signal from the capacitive sensor on the head, and when the signal goes flat (stops changing) it knows it is in contact with the bed. If the bed is too high then the head is already in contact when it starts looking an it cannot detect a change.