Filament stuck in PEEK

jdudeo

Posted · Filament stuck in PEEK

I've been having this problem extruding filament and after taking my extruder head apart I discovered that the filament is not passing through the peek anymore to reach the head and extrude. It seems that the reason this is happening is that there's some plastic stuck on the inside wall of the peek. I've tried unscrewing the tube that goes into peek but that only resulted in my pliers bruising the twisty part that screws into the heater. regardless of how this problem originated does anybody have any advice in regards to cleaning out the residue plastic on the inside of the peek to get my filament to go through or should I just order new parts?

Any help would be much appreciated as I've been dying to get some prints out. Thanks

DVC00216

The peek melts around 300C. PLA around 200C. Heat to 240C and blow it out with compressed air or use high G's for example by tapping it on a table.

I've never tied this myself so there may be something I didn't think of. Like how to heat to 200C but not go over 300C. Oven maybe? I have a hot air heat gun so I would use that but I'd have to be careful not to get too hot.

Thanks for the advice, I don't really have access to any way to heat it over 200C though so maybe I'll just order new parts..

Many people/apartments have an oven (to bake or cook)... you could just heat it up to 200C and let the PEEK warm up.

Many people have a stove to boil water: you could just drop the PEEK into boiling water, and let the PLA get a bit soft (Tg is 65C).

Many people who were alive in the past 250000 years have managed to make a fire to cook and boil some water with a wide variety of fuels and cooking containers.

Many people have a hair dryer, which also lets you heat up the PEEK beyond 65C.

I am sorry to hear you don't have access to any of those.

Many people have access to an online community that's not full of dead links, where the veterans are understanding and don't give sarcastic answers but I guess I don't have that either.

As for the stove, I live in a small old Japanese house that gets no gas or hot water, as for the other stuff, I assumed the PLA melts around 200 or so since that's always what I need to set my printer to?

In the end I got it working with new parts.

hay guys play nice ! :-) we are here to help and have fun ! not start pissing on each other.

big hugs.

Ian :-)

jdudeo, sorry but it's just hard to believe someone can afford to buy a UM and not know anyone who owns a temperature controlled oven. It just seemed like you hadn't thought it through.

So you don't have access to boiled water? Or hot tea? Or cooked Rice? You don't know anyone with a stove or oven who would let you borrow it for a half hour? I'm sorry if that is true. I'm not being mean or sarcastic. It just seemed like you asked such a simple question and the answer was so simple that it was annoying that you bothered us with such a simple question. It was like you asked "how do I tighten these screws?".

Ah - I suppose boiled water is only 100C and you thought you had to go to 200C so maybe you knew that. But no access to an oven?

Anyway good luck with your UM and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Have you been to Japan? Believe it or not it's not common to own or have any use for an oven.. I could explain further why I thought it was easier to just order the part but I'd rather save us all the hassle of carrying on this conversation.