Compact UM2 spool holder + Filament clamp + 3D character set available

Posted (edited) · Compact UM2 spool holder + Filament clamp + 3D character set available

Hello all,

I just put the following designs online:

1) A compact spool holder for the UM2 which takes much less space than the original. Can be handy for narrow cabinets or tables. It has a standard 608 bearing for frictionless movement. My first version (with 4 pins) had been in use succesfully for almost 2 years, this latest one (with 3 pins, handier) for a few months.

2) A clamp to prevent filament from unwinding while in storage, and from falling off the spool sideways while printing (the last function only for colorFabb spools). Has been in use for a few months.

3) A character set and several character testplates for adding small 3D-text to a model. Character height is 3.5mm, width is 2.0mm, and line-width is 0.5mm. The testplates can be very handy for conceptual tests, to see which shapes and which heights work best for your models, even if you would design your own fonts.

I made all these designs for myself. But they may also be useful for others. So, feel free to have a look and try them out:

https://www.uantwerpen.be/nl/personeel/geert-keteleer/manuals/

The original design files are provided in the RSDOC-format, the native file-format of DesignSpark Mechanical (very good freeware). Also provided are JPG-files showing the design, and print-ready STL-files. See the txt-file inside each zip-file for more info and instructions.

All designs are under a CC BY-SA license, so you can use them for whatever purpose, also commercial. You can also modify the designs to your own wishes. But if you redistribute your derivation, you need to do so under the same license; thus you are not allowed to restrict the free use.

spool_holder.jpg.0b7800b56f2507e1ab46fda58fc774d4.jpg

anti_unwind_clamp1.jpg.60043c893e471c7cb2368b725b09f1b1.jpg

characterset.jpg.bbbbb1fc553eef27c0ab78871de18a70.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Compact UM2 spool holder + Filament clamp + 3D character set available

Geert - have you tried any of the PLA/PHA filament blends using your salt-water method?

Yes, I have used colorFabb PLA/PHA in various colors: white, red, orange, yellow, natural, bluegrey,... It works very well for me. I don't know if there are any other brands that use PLA/PHA.

Also Ultimaker PLA works very well, for example Pearl. But I don't think it contains PHA, probably only PLA plus some additives to make it less brittle than pure PLA.