Cura Language options

jshield

Posted · Cura Language options

Hi,

I've being recently translating as much as i could from the menus and so on. While i got most translation done, I'm worried about updating, and i would like to share this translation.

I am not really proficient on python, if someone can help me to get started on a menu option for languages, I could do translations.

Is there any other option out there? :shock:

I don't want to kill your enthusiasm. But I've been pretty clear about the "translations" for Cura. They are nowhere near a priority. I do not think Cura is mature enough for it, as texts are changing quite often. And I do not find it important at all, as all documentation, users, and the whole 3D printing world is in English.

(As for the "only X% of the world population has English as native language" argument: Wikipedia clearly states that English is the "most widely used language in the world" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language)

• 9 months later...

Most widely used language in the world is the chinese - not english ...

That is first

The second is so many peoples not understand english, because are too old to learn a heavy, ingeneering terms and for them it will be helpfull to have even a base of aplication in their native language

For me - Wikipedia is not a trully source of knowledge, this phrase so english is most used language was wroten by english-men, which not have any experience to travel allround the world and not have the difficulties to communicate in english in many countries (France, ex-Soviet countries, Spain, Portugal, a more to 75% of population in South America, North Africa), in several countries is bad-look to use any aplication which is not translate on native language

In my experience - in most of countries which I visited it was more easy to communicate in french language or spanish, or even in german than in english

At the end - Cura is used the most in the countries non-english spoken. Because they have more entusiasm to do something with than the west countries - a second place in the world in 3D-Printing industry is the Poland.... And not all the ingeneers speak in english .... Third is China with Russia ... I sommma - is not english which is the most spoken language by the people which use the Cura.

Think about it ....

Daid,

First priority at this moment is to get the new release working - in English.

I do agree with Tomasz that not all people are able for whatever reason to use the English language. So when Cura would allow translation and volunteers can do translation, much more people could use and experiment with 3D printers.

Changing texts from version-to-version can be seen as a handicap for translation, but (the) volunteers could fast enough create new translation files. And before this is done, the English text could be used.

So I would be enthousiast for a setup where translation would be possible!

The fact that many people want to use their (nearby) native language is supported in this forum, where a French, German, Italian and 'all other languages' forum exists.

Anyway, keep up the good work you're doing for Cura :-P !

Cura is prepared for translations now (that's why I called the "blast from the past")

But the quality and completeness of the translations is not really high...

My native language is polish, second language is french (I may be like native-speaker), third language is russian( more to 10 years of education), also I speak currently in czech, slovak, serbian-bosnian. The worse is english ...

I look on french, russian, polish, also czech or slovak version ( languages are similares) - I not found the erreurs or mistakes - so not talk so quality or competences are not high, because I found more erreurs in english version, due the common errors caused by ordinary language.

You must change the mentality of the English speaking part of the world which, while acknowledging that it is the most important in the world, forces the use of English - leading to the ridiculous situation where the words that existed in some language , are replaced by anyone incomprehensible English version .

In France, the law forces the use of the vernacular , which puts every programmer in the reverse situation for what it is - wanting to appear on the French market for use of the French language - which in my opinion ( as well as opinion, MOST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD ) , is perfectly understandable .

Because if the program says to me in my language is much more I am able to understand it and not make errors - which to me very often happen, because my knowledge of English is poor.

Take it , please consider - because a lot of people have given up their 3D technology , because the barrier is forcing the English language.

and so for the record - the English language is known by only 22 % of the population of the earth , well understood by 16% ... for comparison, the Spanish language is 37% and 32%, it is well understood ... - data from the United Nations, not wikipedia

My native language is polish, second language is french (I may be like native-speaker), third language is russian( more to 10 years of education), also I speak currently in czech, slovak, serbian-bosnian. The worse is english ...

I look on french, russian, polish, also czech or slovak version ( languages are similares) - I not found the erreurs or mistakes - so not talk so quality or competences are not high, because I found more erreurs in english version, due the common errors caused by ordinary language.

You must change the mentality of the English speaking part of the world which, while acknowledging that it is the most important in the world, forces the use of English - leading to the ridiculous situation where the words that existed in some language , are replaced by anyone incomprehensible English version .

In France, the law forces the use of the vernacular , which puts every programmer in the reverse situation for what it is - wanting to appear on the French market for use of the French language - which in my opinion ( as well as opinion, MOST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD ) , is perfectly understandable .

Because if the program says to me in my language is much more I am able to understand it and not make errors - which to me very often happen, because my knowledge of English is poor.

Take it , please consider - because a lot of people have given up their 3D technology , because the barrier is forcing the English language.

and so for the record - the English language is known by only 22 % of the population of the earth , well understood by 16% ... for comparison, the Spanish language is 37% and 32%, it is well understood ... - data from the United Nations, not wikipedia

I can see your english is poor (not to be offensive). But can you understand that my polish, german, french, irish, zech, slovak and serbian-bosnian is even worse? Only my dutch might be better (native dutch)

Data from wikipedia is always sourced from somewhere else. But, let's grab better that. I mostly care about the European and American market. I think you can agree that the American market is mostly English. Especially for the high technical market. In the European market there is a 65% English as preferred language for international communication.

Now, even with all that, we prepared Cura for translations. However, while translating to Dutch and German we already noticed that Cura is filled with 3D printer jargon which is English only. So even the dutch translation was crappy. As I had no way to verify the other translations I disabled language selection for now, as I did not want to set false expectations.

The french law is nothing odd. That's actually a European guideline (adopted as law in most European countries, as the EU cannot set laws). Which states that you should provide manuals in the native language of the country where you sell your product.

It is something we are working on. (As proved by the disabled translations of Cura) but we are short on manpower.

So it's not so much a "should we?", it's more a "should we do this now?"

Hi Daid

The best way to deal with the various languages in Cura may be to involve people from this forum. You may want to have two or three people (because one is none...) for each language who check the existing translations and issue new pull-up request for translation corrections. These people should ideally be natives of the languages in question and would also have to understand the english original texts properly.

Before a new Cura release you could request a translation checking from these volunteers with a deadline. In such a way, internal manpower requirements are sized down to your manpower for accepting the pull-up requests. What do you think? It's of course up to you but I remember several people having already volunteered here in the forum for checking their native language translations. I would e.g. volunteer for the german translation if needed.

In general people that are good at translating do not have the skill to setup git and send a pull request.

But the effort to get translations was done already. However, like I said, the result... I'm not that happy with it. So this is a difficult thing. Should I provide crappy translations from the community, or no translations?

Also, by providing more language options, I will get bug reports in other languages, that I cannot handle.

In general people that are good at translating do not have the skill to setup git and send a pull request.

I would not blindly agree on this. Setting up git and sending pull requests can be learned.

But the effort to get translations was done already. However, like I said, the result... I'm not that happy with it. So this is a difficult thing. Should I provide crappy translations from the community, or no translations?

If I don't understand any word in a certain language, I'm glad to get even a crappy translation... and don't forget: after all, Cura is for free (in terms of you don't have to pay for it). But I can understand you. I also have a tendency to be over-critical with my own work sometimes. I had to learn that in most businesses, 80% is or has to be sufficient.

Also, by providing more language options, I will get bug reports in other languages, that I cannot handle.

Yes, you will. And that's why I suggested you pick yourself two to three people from the forum for each language onto which you can pass the reported bugs. I agree that maintaining languages for which no native 'translation partner' exists does not make much sense.