Hello from Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

anykey

Posted · Hello from Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

Hi,

After having a makerbot for the last 3 1/2 years (yes one of the very old ones) I finally decided to upgrade to a new 3d printer. I mainly wanted a bigger build platform for my projects. So I ordered my ultimaker with extra controller and some extra spools of pla and abs last tuesday. The order was processed the next day and the day after it was shipped. I happily received my box last friday at 5.55pm. I was really worried DHL would screw up and deliver it after the weekend, but I was lucky and could start playing.

I started friday with the build and was finished on yesterday (saturday) around 2pm. And no, I did not go overnight, had a normal good sleep in between.

My first print was of course the default ultimaker robot. And OOOO what was I shocked. The robot came out just fine!!! Trust me, coming from my old makerbot, this seemed like a miracle to me :-)

For my second print I had to find a harder challenge. I downloaded the single line wall tornado vase and without rescaling it (it is 20+cm heigh) I started printing that. What an amazing thing to see being printed! If you have never printed it, I can highly recommend it.

single layer wall vase

This machine seemed suddenly magical to me. On my old makerbot at least 1 out of 2 prints (especially if they where big) would screw up. But here was a seriously beautiful vase coming to live in front of my eyes.

I did had to cancel the print at 98%, a little above 20cm, as I think I had reached the limit height and did not want to break my lovely new 3d printer.

I am on my 4th print now, the hexagon duplo train crossing for my little son. It is printing it at high resolution, and so far being at 1.6mm heigh it is going fine.

Duplo Hexa train crossing

So I have to say my first 2 day experience with the ultimaker is great! The build went smooth. I did not have any issues with the treading on the end stops. I do have to say that the last section of the build is a bit less well documented then all the first steps, but I managed.

The only thing that I had missing in my box what the plastic wrapping to keep the feed tube and electronic wires together from the extruder head to the feeder. But I had some velcro laying around, so was an easy fix.

I am confused about one thing. still have a box left with many screws in them, including some screw types I did not use at all ?!?!? Did I miss something? Or is ultimaker just very generous with their screws?

left over screws

p.s. I am not attempting to diss the Makerbot. The makerbot I refer to is one of the earliest models. I am sure they have made progress as well. All I have to say is that I am really impressed how the 3d printer industry has evolved in the past 3 years. Really impressive!

Thanks for the great work Ultimaker!

Welcome, anykey! Thanks, for sharing your first impressions and experiences. I can still remember my own first experiences with the printer. Although I was perhaps extra-wowed because it was my first ever 3D printer, I remember being really impressed with the quality of my first ever print as well. I'm sure you'll continue to have a lot of positive experiences with it... and if you do run into any problem, the folks here on the forum are pretty helpful, and we'll do what we can to help you fix things. :-)

he,

nice to hear there is an Ultimaker in Zoetermeer!

I use the Ultimaker at the CKC to teach about 3d printing

check:

http://www.ckc-zoetermeer.nl/cursus/beeldende-kunst/3d-printen/3d-printen

http://www.ckc-zoetermeer.nl/cursus/beeldende-kunst/3d-printen/3d-printen-introductie

I guess you know your way around already :-))

but is is always nice to speak another ultimaker...

Don't worry, your UM will not fall apart due to missed screws etc. you are supposed to have extra. (save them though, you'll likely be making awesome little add-on's later which may just use the 3mm. screws).

I am confused about one thing. still have a box left with many screws in them, including some screw types I did not use at all ?!?!? Did I miss something? Or is ultimaker just very generous with their screws?