Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Same file, two prints = two results


Justin3D
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Same file, two prints = two results

BRAND new to 3D printing.  Just got my son a JG Aurora A3 for Christmas and we're still figuring things out.

 

This sample file came on the SD card from the mfg for testing.  I printed it once directly from the SD card and got the result on the right, which is the correct size.  Then I printed using the Cura app running on my Mac connected to the printer via USB.  Same file, same printer, same filament, etc. but when printing from the app, I got a different result.

 

Any suggestions about why this would happen?  This part serves no purpose for us other than to learn from the experience. 

 

Thanks, in advance for any help you can offer.  :-)

 

 

IMG_0148.JPG

Edited by Justin3D
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    • 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Same file, two prints = two results

    explain same file.

    Stl or .gcode?

    If you printed form sd card the its .gcode file already slice.

    If you simply loaded that file into cura and printed it via usb. Then it should be the same.

    If you loaded an stl into cura then it was resliced and probably not setup correctly.

    The part on the left looks like its melting from overheating. A part cooler fan not turn on of temperature to high.

    And the size looks like the scaling is off.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Same file, two prints = two results
    On 12/28/2017 at 3:05 PM, Justin3D said:

    Then I printed using the Cura app running on my Mac connected to the printer via USB.

     

    Ok, I gotta ask.....how did you install the software to get the printer to be recognized?

     

    I tried two different version of Cura (3.x and 15.x) and neither one sees the printer.  My system report shows "CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller" but that's it.  Cura doesn't recognize that as a legitimate printer.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Same file, two prints = two results
    On 1/8/2018 at 3:52 PM, xile6 said:

    explain same file.

    Stl or .gcode?

    If you printed form sd card the its .gcode file already slice.

    If you simply loaded that file into cura and printed it via usb. Then it should be the same.

    If you loaded an stl into cura then it was resliced and probably not setup correctly.

    The part on the left looks like its melting from overheating. A part cooler fan not turn on of temperature to high.

    And the size looks like the scaling is off.

     

    Ok, I'm a little smarter now than I was when I posted.  At the time I didn't know the difference between an stl file and gcode.  I get it now.  I believe the issue was the printer settings in Cura that were causing the USB-printed version to go awry.  We have decided in most cases that SD card is the way to go so the laptop doesn't have to be connected for so long.  And we're tinkering with the print settings as we slice STL files we find or make to maximize the quality.  We have a long way to go but we're getting there.  Thanks for your help and suggestions.

     

    14 hours ago, DragonDon said:

     

    Ok, I gotta ask.....how did you install the software to get the printer to be recognized?

     

    I tried two different version of Cura (3.x and 15.x) and neither one sees the printer.  My system report shows "CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller" but that's it.  Cura doesn't recognize that as a legitimate printer.

     

    I set it up ours as a custom printer.  The JGAurora was not an option so I found some way to set up a generic model.  I didn't have any issues with the Mac "seeing" the device on USB at all either.  What I'm not sure of is that we set up the custom configuration correctly.  The setup is printing, so that's good, but we're still struggling with some quality issues here and there.  Just working to narrow the variables to tweak.

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    • Our picks

      • The Ultimaker Showcase — October 14. What's new?
        Your dear friends at Ultimaker have some exciting news and insights for you!
         
        • 0 replies
      • New here? Get ahead with a free onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 8 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...