power adapter died :(

brictone

Posted · power adapter died :(

I've had my Ultimaker for a good while now and it's been pretty good to me except last night I found it powered off part way through a print. :( I tested the DC end of the adapter and I get no voltage from it. So I went to the store and found the closest thing to it. a 19.5v 6.14a adapter. Before I plug it into the machine I want to know if I'm going to hurt the electronics at all by using this new adapter. It's the same pin size so it'll fit... just slightly different voltage.

Will it decrease the life at all over time? run hotter? should I just return this new one and go and get the same 19v 6.32a adapter?

Did you try unplugging and then plugging back in the adapter that came with the ultimaker? If it gets overloaded it shuts off until you power cycle it.

There is a part on the UM that will get hotter with 19.5V and could use more fan or more heatsink. It regulates the 19V down to I beleive 12V. It should be easy to find. It's the hot one, lol. I would add a heatsink to it but it should be fine for a few minutes. Some people go with 19.5V for hours and they are fine and others blow this part after a few days so I would definitely heatsink it better.

There's more discussion on this related to battery packs which come in 19.5V (and other voltages but 19.5 is popular).

Mine appeared to pack in once when I had caused a short on the nozzle heater connections on the main board. I unplugged it from the mains and kept retrying it every 10 minutes. It took 4 hours to reset by which time I'd already ordered a spare from eBay. The lesson here is to be not to hasty ,give it time

Paul

If you use a different supply make sure that the + and - are the same as on the stock supply. Switching those around will fry the electronics quite nicely.

True but 90% of these (including the ultimaker in case you need to know) have positive voltage in the center. It's the 10% that really piss me off as sometimes I get adapters confused - they all look similar.

Thanks for all the info. I left the adapter unplugged from the wall all night and tested it again this morning and I was getting some voltage from it. except it was bouncing between 15 and 19 volts. I plugged it into the printer again and it flickered for a second. so I tried the new one at 19.5v and it powered right up. As gr5 mentioned, it'll heat up the electronics more than the original, so I'm not going to use that one. I'm going to find an exact match with Volts and Amps. I'm not interested in buy new electronics if I don't need to.

Thanks all.

19.5V is no problem. You can even use 24V but then 1 part will overheat and need some work. But 19.5V is no problem without modifications it will work. Amp wise it's fine (Amps are a maximum, the printer uses as much as it needs, and the supply can supply up to the specified value)

So you can use that supply without a problem.

Daid,

Thanks for the update on the 19.5v. I'll go ahead and use it. I can get back to manufacturing my mario mushrooms tonight!