Ultimaker CPE Print setting help

chrisv

Posted · Ultimaker CPE Print setting help

Hi

I am a 3D printing newbie. Got my Ultimaker 3+ for XMAs and love it so far. Printing in PLA as been great.

Today I tried printing with Ultimaker CPE. Some small models came out ok.

I tried a larger one with flat surfaces and it does not look good.

Im getting lots of what I think is stringing but also something else. I don't have enough experience yet to understand what I am seeing. I am using default suggested CURA 3 settings for the material.

Which is 250 nozzle, Plate at 70 and print speed at 60 but checked and 1st layer is set to 20 mm/s, Top and Bottom 35 mm/s. Cooling is off for 1st layer then comes on gradualy to 50%. These photos are with 2 walls.

You can see photos below of the first layer and further bottom layers then some side walls.

IMG_20180120_230657.thumb.jpg.e14736f21a5ff206f512407b32b4c9ac.jpgIMG_20180120_155424.thumb.jpg.c82f6e4ee5ea9a8e4d5741e4e1c23e56.jpgIMG_20180120_155416.thumb.jpg.277b516778c4ffeb35e06bc69d89d6f2.jpg

Would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted · Ultimaker CPE Print setting help

I learned that CPE is a co-polyester like PETG. I use PETG a lot (colorFabb 2.2 kg spools) and have had similar issues. I print PETG at 235 - 240 degC and no fan. This gives fairly good results, but not as nice as NGEN or PLA.

You could try and print a custom temperature tower and see which temperature/speed/cooling/etc. options give you the best result.