What does 'Reload All Models' do?

mike-truly

Posted · What does 'Reload All Models' do?

Cura 3.1

OK lets say I had a project file that had 6 objects on the print bed.  When the 6 objects were originally dragged from the file browser to the new Cura project, they were:

Object1.obj

Object2.obj

Object3.obj

Object4.obj

Object5.obj

Object6.obj

Then I saved the Cura project file.

Then later, I make some modeling changes in my 3D app and re-save out all 6 OBJ files again to the same filenames.

Then I open the Cura project file from before and choose 'Reload All Models' while watching closely to see if the modeling changes I made appear... they do not.

Am I misunderstanding what Reload All Models is supposed to do?

When Cura saves a project file, are the 6 OBJ files saved within the project file or are there merely pointers to the actual original 6 OBJ files?

Confused.

Thanks for any ideas!

Mike

OK, I found a line in the manual that implies that the models are embedded into the Cura project file.  So that means that when I open the project file, I get the old version of the models.

I would have thought that Reload All Models would reload the original OBJ files from disk thus showing the updated modelling changes... but when I do that, the modelling changes do not seem to appear.

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks very much for this info!

I see now.  I definitely would like to be able to Reload All Models so that the modelling changes would be easy to incorporate into the existing project.

As it is now, I must open the project (to get whatever settings the project contains) then pull the newly modified models into Cura while deleting the old models within Cura (all the while not getting the models mixed up as the modelling changes can be very subtle and hard to spot)... a hassle indeed.

Thanks again.

Mike

Going to agree with Mike on this. The project file could embed the files, but retain a pointer for the reloading of changed files. It is nice to send a project file with all the stuff in it. But you should not have to reload everything manually and reconfigure each time something is changed.