Cura not connecting to the printer Win7 64bits

kolia

Posted · Cura not connecting to the printer Win7 64bits

Hello everybody,

I recently switched from using my machine with a Mac computer to a Win7 64bits Professional one.

With the Mac one no problem. It happened one time that I couldn't connect to the printer via USB, but after restarting the computer all good.

Now, with the one running Win7 64 bits, I've never been able to talk to the machine. When I plug the USB, Windows beeps normally, and I see the Arduino appearing in the device manager.

But:

- Can't upload firmware (failed on timeout)

- Can't run the first wizard:

Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Detecting serial port'

Serial port list: [u'COM3']

Connecting to: COM3

Error while connecting to COM3: 'Timeout'

Failed to open serial port (AUTO)

Changing monitoring state from 'Detecting serial port' to 'Error: Failed to autodetect...'

In Cura preferences if I manually set the COM to COM3, then the wizard will fail after trying every possible baudrate.

Restarting machine and computer doesn't work neither.

Otherwise Cura works fine and I can slice and use the SD card on the Ulticontroller. Same problem with Cura 13.04 or (beta?) 13.06.

I guess something is wrong with my system and not directly Cura but can't figure it out.

I don't understand what is wrong (and I hate that) and being able to work through the computer would be convenient in some cases...

Any clue?

Thanks!

Maybe the drivers are not installed properly? This sometimes happens (due to, you know, windows being windows), COM3 could not be the printer but some other device.

A while back I posted how in windows to figure out which com port is the one with the arduino. I'm too lazy to search for it but you could. I bet it's not com3.

Thanks for the answers,

Well, when I plug the machine I see the Arduino appearing in the COM section of the device manager, and it says COM3. It's still possible that it's actually not using this port?

gr5 you are right though, it was initially displayed on COM16, but I already couldn't connect, so I manually changed it to COM3 (you can do this from the device manager, and I sometimes set up my system like this for another machine at work where software expects things on fixed hardcoded port numbers) thinking that maybe the COM was too high and not detected.

I will try to uninstall the driver and reinstall again...

Some people have had a problem with a new UM where they couldn't connect to the arduino unless they removed it from the UM board. The USB cable is all you need to power it up so you can remove it from the board (very carefully!!! easy to break or bend a pin!) power it up, replace the firmware, and then put it back onto the UM. At least 2 people had to do this recently.

Try an older version of Cura ,I get loads of comms errors with 13.04, I went back to 12.** and no issues, I don't use anything else now.

Paul

In case It can help someone passing by: removing the Arduino from the UM board didn't help. Using older version of Cura neither.

After many tries I think I managed to reupload one time the basic Blink Arduino example.

In the end I got a new Arduino, and now everything is fine :)

Don't know what was the problem with my original Arduino, but it has to do with uploading code to it.

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my new Ultimaker, I was able to solve it by updating the FW.