Ringing Help

valcrow

Posted · Ringing Help

Hey Fellas,

I have an issue with ringing, and I'm not really sure how to solve. I've tried slowing it down, which reduces it a bit, played with the jerk and acceleration settings, but I'm actually not sure which way i should be tuning it... And the problem still persist.

it's quite evident on this Campanion cube I printed, and more noticable with the more opaque silver PLA I'm currently using.

Ringing02

Ringing01

It's especially noticable on objects with straight lines and 90 degree turns. Curved objects seem to work ok.

p1701622183-3.jpg

The head is fine, the body however...

These were printed at .15mm at the default speed.

Any ideas on how to reduce or eliminate the ringing? I have no modifications on my machine. I thought vibrations might have been causing it, so I shimmed the 4 corners that the machine sits, and put 15 pound weights on the sides and clamped it lightly to reduce the vibration on my not so stable table. Problem is minimized with the new settings and clamping, but still exists.

Any tips would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Posted · Ringing Help

I don't mind ringing so I haven't tried to fix it but I've seen many other posts about it. Here are some thoughts:

1) someone claims it's mostly from the print bed and not the print head. He fixed it by adding an iron bar as a weight to the front end of the bed. This doesn't dampen the ringing but it changes the frequency to such a low amount that you no longer see it.

2) Jerk is the only setting that counts but the "jerk" setting that is in the marlin firmware isn't really jerk. So the only thing you can do is lower the acceleration. Try lowering it by at least a factor of 10. There's no reason not to keep the speed high although for short runs it will never be able to accelerate up to full speed.

3) It might not be just ringing - there are temperature affects that causes something that looks similar to ringing. Ringing fades as you move farther, ripple effect doesn't and is a periodic frequency caused inside the nozzle. Try lowing the temperature - look at this picture for more details (second picture in this post):

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/1872-some-calibration-photographs/

Posted · Ringing Help

hmm, that's interesting, didn't think of the printbed being the issue. I'll see if I have something around the house to weigh it down or something..

For #3, I'm printing at 220. I know it's a bit high for PLA, so maybe that's an issue. But the ringing seems to inherit the shape of the heart in the first picture, which suggests that it's not a heat thing?

I noticed in your 2nd post, first picture in the thread that you linked, that you printed the ultimaker robot with 70mm/sec infill, and 20mm/sec on the perimeter. Is that possible in Cura? that would probably solve a lot of my surface issues, but I haven't found anything that can seperate the print speed from infil to perimeter.

Thanks!

Posted · Ringing Help

yes, if you don't use the ulticontroller, the cura print menu has a tab where you can adjust the speed of each thing separately.

I like to set the speed in cura to 100mm/sec so that then the percentage equals the speed.

So 100% is 100mm, 150% is 150mm 20% is 20mm. It's just easier math.

Posted · Ringing Help

That's pretty cool, I didn't know Cura had that. I use the Ulticontroller exclusively as the printer is in another room not connected to a computer. Well, I hope Daid includes that feature at some point in future releases in Cura.

Posted · Ringing Help

Someone should write a plugin for it if it doesn't already exist. It would be a good example of a relatively simple plugin. Probably only about 20 lines of code.

Posted · Ringing Help

Latest Cura has different speed for perimeter and Fill. It doesn't matter if you use the Ulticontroller or not.

Posted · Ringing Help

Is that out? or beta?

Posted · Ringing Help

ah! thank you sir. :-P