cura not printing part of my model

Posted · cura not printing part of my model

I have a model of a nozzle connected to a steel plate, there is a crack in the weld between the pipe and the plate, I created the point cloud and brought it into cura, the model printed fine the first time but I noticed that the crack was filled in so I went into the point cloud, deleted the points that filled in the crack.  this time only the nozzle printed, basically everthing after the crack did not print, does a model have to be solid to print or am I doing something wrong when I bring in the modified model?

thanks,

Mike

You have created a "broken" model that is probably no longer "watertight". You can use applications such as Netfabb or Meshmixer, or online services to repair the object.

Inside Cura, you can use the "X Ray view" to see if the model has these sort of issues (they will be drawn red in the X Ray view), and layerview as a preview of what will be printed.

thank you for the reply.  Is there a way to do what I am trying to do?  Showing the crack in the nozzle is kind of essential to what I am trying to produce.  while it just come down to printing the model and trying to cut the crack out after the fact?

thanks again.

Mike

What @ahoeben suggests does not create an issue with printing the crack as you want. What you have created, is a model that does not have sides to the crack area you created. Guessing that a pic is worth a thousand words, here is an example. It is not a point cloud, but it all comes down to a mesh at the end anyway.

NonManifoldObject.thumb.jpg.a855290feefe0add6c99f5072affaf59.jpg

By removing part of your point cloud, it created something like the object on the left side. It is not enclosed and is therefore just a 2D shell. @ahoeben suggests is to run it through a service or program that will allow you to put face(s) on the side where it would create the crack as you wish.

I hope this clears this up. If not, we will try again :)

• Like 1