top infill between versions

Andy2605

Posted (edited) · top infill between versions

I have a really strange problem that i am hoping someone can help with.

when using Cura 15.04.6 and PETG filament i get perfect top and bottom layers / infill. when i use the same stl file and temperature, flow, retraction etc settings in Cura 2.7 the top layers dont touch the perimeters and there are voids. 

I spent all of yesterday trying different extrusion multiplier. infill line width, infill wipe distance but none of these fixed the problem. 

I want to use the later version of cura for the improved support options including the support interface but if i cant get the top solid without voids i will have to stick with the older Cura and put up with less options for support.

Left square is from Cura 15.04.6 and right square is from Cura 2.7. 

20180211_131636.jpg

Edited by Andy2605

Posted · top infill between versions

What??? The left one looks better, right?  Maybe zoom in more?  It sure looks like it is touching just fine here.

Anyway if it's the same printer and filament then it has to be something in the gcodes.  So the main things are temperature, speed, layer height and line width.  

speed

Both curas have at least 3 printing speeds, cura 2 has more than 2.  You have to check *all* the printing speeds (infill speed, inner wall, outer wall) as any of these can affect the issue.

line width

Same with line width - check *all* the line widths in cura 2.  And in cura 15 is your nozzle size an exact multiple of the shell?  if not it kind of ignores your nozzle size.  So for example if nozzle size is 0.4 and shell is 1mm it will do two 0.5mm wide walls and all the infill will also be at 0.5mm wide.

temperature

Like speed, there are many temperatures.

infill overlap

Should be set to 15% in both curas.  Check that.

the left print is from 15.04.6 and the right is 2.7

Printing speed was 40mm/s on both verisons

the nozzle is 0.4mm

walls are 1.2mm and top layer 0.8mm in both versions. 

temperature was 230 degrees C on both prints. 

infill overlap was 15% in both. 

This is what is confusing me. Same printer and filament. all the settings that i can compare are set the same.

4 minutes ago, Andy2605 said:

the left print is from 15.04.6 and the right is 2.7

I made a correction comment in your original post.

Is this the top layer?  Because if this is the bottom layer ALL my answers change dramatically.

5 minutes ago, Andy2605 said:

Printing speed was 40mm/s on both verisons

Wait so you went through all 5 or so printing speed settings and set them all to the same value?

Also what about layer height?  If it was .1mm for cura 15 and .15 for cura 2 that would explain everything because it's trying to squeeze more filament through the nozzle in a given second and more likely to underextrude.

Basically what you are seeing here is probably underextrusion.  Although I'd like to see a better photo of both parts to be sure.

8 minutes ago, Andy2605 said:

walls are 1.2mm and top layer 0.8mm in both versions. 

And line width?  Are all 5 or so line width settings set to 0.4 or the default 0.35?  And what was layer height?  Oh - how many layers does each slicer end up with?  Does cura 2 end up with more or fewer layers after slicing?  I'm wondering if the top layer is a partial layer.

Posted (edited) · top infill between versions

This is the top layer. bottom layers are fine.

The layer height of both prints is 0.2mm

Initial layer was 0.25 in both versions

Both files end up with 30 layers 

I tried upping the overlap percentage to 25%. I have tried upping the extrusion multiplier to 105% 

It has really got me baffled. I know i must be missing something somewhere. 

Cura2.7.jpgCura 2.7

Cura15.04.6.jpgCura 15.04.6

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Andy2605