NEW Battery backup-UPS

Posted (edited) · NEW Battery backup-UPS

I cannot remember where I discussed this before, so I apologize if this is redundant.

I have an old UPS from back in the day. @geert_2 gave me some valuable information about how long the batteries will last. It had not kicked in and my printers stopped after almost completing a long set of prints. Turns out the batteries are just shot. It's dead Jim. It is not resting, this parrot is deceased, passed on and is no more.

So, I got a new one. My old one was about 15+ years old and well, they are just better tech now, so easier to replace the whole unit than just to seek out batteries that are probably not even available anymore.

I charged the thing up for several days and was ready to put it on when I had another power glitch that killed, again, two prints that were more than 4/5 of the way through. And each one was about 60 hours. GRRRrrrrrr.......

But the bright side of this, the silver linings printbook if you will, is that I got to finally put both of them on the new supply. I unplugged it from the location it was orginially charging from and then I left it unplugged to see if the printers would remain in power mode while no power supplied, just the batteries.

Holey Moley and Great Googley Moogley, they breathed life! They are alive!!! ALLIIIIVVVVEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

So, now, no more blips bad enough to kill the prints. Just enough to make the power supply beep and keep on keepin' on! Sigh.....

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to, Why don't you go where fashion sits
Huttin' on the 'itzzzz!!!!!

monsterritz.gif.c31a9bdd6ebcca7960754319f0557d0f.gif

Edited by kmanstudios

Posted · NEW Battery backup-UPS

I have an old UPS and about once every 3 months I do a test print of a robot and reduce the speed so that it will take about 90 minutes, I then switch of the plug and check how long the UPS will keep it running before it fails, I’m on about 45-50 minutes.

due for another test run soon.

Posted · NEW Battery backup-UPS
    21 hours ago, izzy said:

I have an old UPS and about once every 3 months I do a test print of a robot and reduce the speed so that it will take about 90 minutes, I then switch of the plug and check how long the UPS will keep it running before it fails, I’m on about 45-50 minutes.

due for another test run soon.

Instead of using a printer, maybe you could also try a couple of incandescent lamps or spots as load, for about the same wattage? Then you can easily see from a distance when they go out, and it doesn't cause a failed print.  :)