UM3 fw update without lan (with usb)

RudydG

Posted · UM3 fw update without lan (with usb)

The steps are as follows:

1. Download the stable and stable signature files

2. Copy the 2 files to the root of your USB stick, insert usb stick into the printer

3. Use the printer's UI to navigate to SYSTEM → Maintenance → Update firmware

4. Then select the file you just put on your USB stick (note: only one option is shown per set of 2 files, the *.tar.xz option).

5. Wait for the update to be installed; follow the instructions on the screen.

Strange, doesn't work, the 2 files copied on the root of my USB stick, are not found bij the printer. Not in stable or testing version. Also tried to unzip them, but same problem.

??

Posted (edited) · UM3 fw update without lan (with usb)

Don't extract the files, leave them in the state as downloaded.

Note that this printer's menu doesn't update automatically when you insert the usb stick, you will only see the usb stick if it was already present when you entered the firmware update menu, otherwise you will have to go up one menu level and return again.

What is the firmware version on your printer?

When you copy a gcode file to this USB stick, is that being recognized when you enter the print menu? Some usb sticks have multiple partitions and we are only looking at one partition.

Edited by Indy31

First i tried withouth extracting, then i tried with extracted files.

My usb stich is used to print all my Gcode files. I tried with all situations, formated disk, only the 2 files on it, booting with and withouth usb stick.

... Fw version i will look into tomorrow (i thought something like 3.6....)

Updating the printer from USB was introduced in v3.3, so it really helps to know the exact firmware version you are using.

Just another thought since you mentioned you unzipped the file....

On Windows some versions of Internet Explorer are known to change the file extensions. I just tested on my old Windows 7 and IE11. These are the results:

"latest.tar.xz" was saved as "latest.tar.tar"

"latest.tar.xz.sig" became "latest.tar.xz.tar"

Rename the files again to have the original extensions.

-Just checked the FW version, 

-Files are certainly in the correct format. (no tar at the end)

You have an intriguing problem...

I studied the release notes since your v3.5.3 but nothing there that explains your problem.

Then I created a clean installed printer with v3.5.3 and when I insert a usb stick with the firmware files on it, these are recognized.

You are the first one to report this problem on an old software version where many people already updated successfully. You are doing something different, I just can't figure out what.

Instead of spending more time in figuring out your problem, is it possible for you to move the printer to another location where you can plug in the network cable and do the update over the internet?

The other option is to follow the procedure for a bricked machine, but that involves quiet some work.

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for you support, and all you work!! Really appreciate this!

Indeed i think it is time to do something different, and connect the printer to a network, then i can use the direct methode, like i do on my other UM's.

Will do that as soon the printer is free.