Da Clumsy Noob in: "Slice Oddity"

kmanstudios

Posted · Da Clumsy Noob in: "Slice Oddity"

Slice Control to Major Noob......

Ok, so I was doing a lot of prep work and found a mistake I had made while copying and replacing things to make a model work better. I have constructed a simplified version of events so that maybe it will help somebody else stay out of agita and frustration.....This can also serve as a bit of a tutorial on how you can merge models together should you need to for say, something like two color printing.

First I constructed a model I wanted to slice. Just a couple of cylinders stacked:

Oddity1.thumb.jpg.8f7814fe5c9def28869db0b4c1923eb4.jpg

Then I check my mesh to make sure it has passed muster for slicing. For this I used the STL check in 3DS MAX. Usually bullet proof. But! Da Clumsy Noob can break anything!!!!!

Oddity2.thumb.jpg.d42173d5d1101b9cd859a9dddac8b088.jpg

Yup looks ok....now to bring it into slicer. I exported each piece our as handle and disk. This allows me to control each part separately for doing things like alternate infill or two color printing or whatever. Ignore the odd shadows in my Cura viewport. Sometimes they stay as an after image until I restart it.

Oddity3.thumb.jpg.a85729549bd21301244bba4d599c96a3.jpg

Then I right click and choose "Select all models"

Oddity4.thumb.jpg.8b05aa9919108126776efc6e0539ab35.jpg

Then I right click again and choose "Merge Models".

Oddity5.thumb.jpg.f427b823af0fba790005b7d804d36f29.jpg

If you have constructed your model properly, it will go together smoothly like so:

Oddity6.thumb.jpg.260c19d7af9df16242def90fab0a448a.jpg

It will be a bit floatey, but just adjust the numbers in the position type-ins:

Oddity7.thumb.jpg.836f22a21546991747dd70fba5aee5aa.jpg

Then slice and voila!! It is all perf....waaaiiiittttt.........

Oddity8.thumb.jpg.9cfcaafe292880bb2872b2424b508086.jpg

I checked it!! The software said it was ok!! IT MUST BE CURA DAMMIT!!!!!!

Wellll....uhhh....no.

I ran the STL check again to make sure I did not space out or anything....nope...cognitive abilities are still there.....well, as much as usual.....

Oddity2.thumb.jpg.6468be3d618a5774e9214693e5dc7b4e.jpg

But this time I poked around and move things and find out that I had accidentally duplicated the disk on bottom. This made a set of coplanar objects. This is very bad. Veddy bad ol' bean!

Oddity9.thumb.jpg.9931cac8b7b31a81ee70fba82d187e9b.jpg

And that is a definite no-no in all aspects of 3D. It can confuse renderers, it can mess with any sort of simulation, it can as we now see, confuse the slicer.....coplanar is just not good. Capisce?

Re-export that sucker and just reload the models. They will stay in place......

Oddity10.thumb.jpg.bb166a8412768b948258d0e718cdf14e.jpg

Slice again and all is well.........

Oddity11.thumb.jpg.4f37251c5004d1a83740d7e60a83d7a6.jpg

So, as the boat sinks slowly in the west and the sun pulls away from our shores, we hear the lonely hoof beats of Da Clumsy Noob ride off into the credits scene and little Timmy says, "Come back noob, come back!!"

• Like 2