Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Marcos T

Compatibility mode is really needed?

Hello,

My question is about the impossibility to use 3D resources from Cura, like gcode simulation for example.

My windows 10 with intel video card (WDDM 1.1) always get "compatibily mode" in cura software but Cura really need better requirements of video card to allow user to use this feature???

In my same computer, I can do the same (simulate gcode) using Slic3r, even with not best performance but It is up only to me! :)

My opinion is about Cura to reduce the requirement to open features like that and let users to use it or not, if the computer performance is not ok...

Thanks

That is not entirely true, as @Marcos T states that Slic3r does about the same thing without requiring openGl 4.1.

The point is that the current implementation of layer/simulation view uses functionality that is only available with openGl 4.1. In theory it could be rewritten not to use that functionality when openGl 4.1 is not available, but that would be a lot of development work and the result would be much slower; probably too slow to be usable. Since there are many, many things that need doing, making something that is going to be used by few people and is probably going to be hardly usable for those is not likely going to happen.