Advice for a lecture on 3D printing

mjl1704

Posted · Advice for a lecture on 3D printing

I have been asked to give an hour lecture on 3D printing, how it works and it's applications. Can anyone recommend any good videos or resources I could use in this lecture? It will be delivered to students who have never used 3D printing before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I do not have a real suggestion as you have asked for, but one thing I noticed is that 3D printing was put under the wrong microscope by businesses in the beginning.

"Too slow for mass production" was and in many cases, still is the mantra. What it excels at is quick prototyping, but even more important, in my thought process, is that it excels beyond belief in the custom 'one off' that we are finding many needs for in the world. Like prosthetics, the very definition of 'custom one offs'.

And, for me, as I have evolved over the last 45 years is that I started out as a traditional artist. Then moved into CG with the wave of computers in the early 80's. NOW I get to actually hold the weird crap sitting in my head. This was NEVER available before.

• Like 1

Not sure what the age/grade of the students is, but this is a great introduction video that shows how 3D printing/additive manufacturing compares to the other ways of making things, and what it's possibilities are.

Maybe you should not only show the 3D-printing process, but also the reason why one would use it? To really make the physical objects of things that you have designed by yourself. So that the subject has a real purpose for them, it is something they can really use.

I think a few short videos on 3D-editing would be great: they show how a model is created from scratch, and how easy it is once you understand the basic concepts.

Maybe you could have a look at videos or webinars from DesignSpark Mechanical: this is freeware, so every student can download and use it himself. It only requires registration (which is a more than fair price for the value you get).

Or have a look at Form-Z webinars. This is not freeware, but in the past they had free educative versions. I don't know today. And their webinars were quite good and pleasant to watch.