Cura - Retraction in print

AndiJ

Posted (edited) · Cura - Retraction in print

Hello community,

I am trying to figure out an issue I am having with a specific print patter at the moment. Whenever there are structures in the print itself on the first layer my printer is printing a connection between the shell and the structure (I have added a picture to clarify).

Unbenannt.png.0a6d3f5c5dddc6c9368c240cc77b402f.png

I have been trying to figure out some settings to fix this issue since the layers are then overlapping and creating a bulge in the print. I think my printer is not extruding but also not retracting while making this movement, which leads to the connection lines, I could be wrong though. Am I missing a simple setting here? I have been looking but couldnt find anything by now. Maybe the "Retract at layer change" setting could help?

I am using the concentric fill pattern, but the same problem occurs with zig-zag.

retsetting.JPG.74851ee50cf467b569857c7e5e87c75a.JPG

I dont know why cura is moving like this in the first place. I am guessing cura is printing the amount of circles equivalent to the wall size, but it is always switching between the outer shell and the circles shell. Wouldnt it be beneficial to print the circle outline and the just finish the layer from the shell inward? Maybe there is also a setting for this I am missing.

To conclude what I am looking for in the end is a setting that retracts the extruder while making a movement in the print itself, while right now my printer is moving without extruding nor retracting.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Edited by AndiJ

Posted · Cura - Retraction in print

Those lines I assume are within the part - where there would be infill for example (if infill is not at 0%).

There is a feature related to retraction called "combing".  There is where cura tries to not bother retracting and instead try to move to the next shell position without going ouside the part.  In some cases it has to make crazy paths to get there - in this case it just can move directly.  If you disable combing it will move in the same pattern but do a retraction.

Some people hate these lines on the bottom layer only so you can also just turn off combing for the bottom layer.

In addition there are other retraction features that might be blocking retraction: minimum retraction distance, etc but I think you just want combing turned off (for this part - don't turn it off for everything).