Cura + LanSchool

msurunner

Posted · Cura + LanSchool

I think I have isolated a major software clash.  LanSchool, software used to monitor computers in a lab setting, and Cura ran together results in very poor Cura performance.  However, if you exit LanSchool completely, including the LskHelper in the Task Manager, there is a significant increase in performance.

I'm not familiar with LanSchool, but by scanning their website for a bit it seems it tries to record and catch pretty much everything you're doing on a PC, which takes up A LOT of resources. Fi that PC is not too fast, that can interfere with other software that needs resources (like CPU and memory).

Do you have problems with LanSchool in combination with other (heavy) software? Could you share the task manager details so we can see which processes are taking up those resources?

My students are not in the classroom right now, so the network traffic isn't what it was earlier.  I can attempt to get that information next week when everyone's in the classroom again.  The CPU (i7) and memory (32GB) are not shown as bogged down in the TM, and LanSchool hasn't caused issues with other intensive programs, such as Solidworks or Adobe CC.  While Cura is locked up, the rest of the machine is fully functional.  There is a log loaded into my response on the 3.3 Beta Introduction post that ought to show what the logs look like when it's bogged down.

Have you tried the Sysinternals Suite tools? Then you can monitor which programs are active and how much resources they eat up (CPU, GPU, RAM, IO,...), both in numerical and in graphical format, with the Sysinternals "Process Explorer". And you can kill or suspend programs that you suspect create problems. They have lots of other diagnostic tools too, to see which files are open, etc... The tools are safe, I am using them for +10 years now. And Sysinternals has now been acquired by Microsoft.

Sure. Which tool do you think will help in finding why a network connection is slowing down Cura?

I haven't had to diagnose network issues yet (and I am not a software engineer either), so I am afraid that I can offer very little practical help.

Usually I use Sysinternals Process Explorer to see which programs slow down my system by eating up my CPU-cycles, RAM, or GPU. I don't remember if I added the graphs for all these manually, or if they were enabled by default on the newer versions, but these graphs are handy. And then I use Process Explorer to suspend or kill hung-up or suspected programs. Or I use Autoruns to quickly disable unwanted auto-starting things.

Maybe in your case TCPView or Process Monitor might also help? TCPView shows the network-connections: which programs are doing what on the network? And Process Monitor shows all registry- and file-access of each program (but this is way too much for me).

Here's the TCPView... Something in Cura is continuously receiving packets.... That number constantly grows, even when Cura is "idle".

TCP Cura.PNG