Object import orientation in 3.2.1

jkushwara

Posted · Object import orientation in 3.2.1

Is there a way to set Cura so that when objects are opened their relative position is maintained ? If I design a part with it's own custom support part in the correct orientation, when opening in Cura even with the drop part to plate option disabled the imported parts don't stay aligned. I end up having to manually re position everything once imported. It seems like the automatically drop models to build plate option is always on even when disabled in preferences. Same with ensure models are kept apart ? Running V3.2.1

If you have put two objects that were made together (your example, object& support) into Cura (At least 2.4 onward) and 'select all' and then 'merge models', they should group together in their proper relative positions. Then you can position that merge on the buildplate for optimal printing.

you can find both 'select all' and 'merge models' in the edit menu. Or, try a left click to bring up the context sensitive menu.

Posted (edited) · Object import orientation in 3.2.1

Thanks - I found the grouping / merging models function - works great. Problem isn't with manipulating models once imported as a single group, the problem is when I open/ import the models to begin with. They import into Cura in an arbitrary position - even when "ensure models are kept apart" and "automatically drop models" have been disabled in preferences ? In the attached image, the left shows the correct part orien tation/ position when imported into another 3D app - the right image is the result when importing into Cura. The blue support part has lost it's correct orientation to the main part. 

Cura_Import_Orientation.jpg

Edited by jkushwara
    wording

OK, I think I may be having a brain fart because I cannot think of a time when the orientations are not correct relative to each other. And when using the merge function, parts to into their proper place and orientation relative to each other no matter what.  They do not open properly at first, but get into position when using the functions.

I am not sure I understand......

Thanks Kman - that was the missing piece ! I didn't realize I needed to merge after opening to get the correct orientation. So the correct approach would be -

1. Open models - they will be positioned apart from one another.

2. Select models and merge  - models then snap into correct orientation.

3. Position if necessary on build plate as a group.

4. Ungroup models to apply Per Model Settings if necessary. In this case it is as one of the models needs to have a mesh type> Modify settings for overlap with other models>Generate Support applied. 

It's a little confusing at first, but works perfectly. 

Posted (edited) · Object import orientation in 3.2.1
    1 hour ago, jkushwara said:

Ungroup models to apply Per Model Settings if necessary. In this case it is as one of the models needs to have a mesh type> Modify settings for overlap with other models>Generate Support applied. 

Actually, I made this mistake until someone pointed out that if you hold the CTRL key (on a PC...dunno about MAC keyboards) when you right click it will select that specific model and you can then apply the per model settings if needed, Or, do so before merging. But, I gots to tell yas, I often diddle my settings a bit as I think about things and still have to CTRL+Right Click to tweak them anyway.

:)

Edited by kmanstudios

With 3MF it's possible to maintain the grouping (and thus their relative position to each other). But that does require that your modeling tool exports the 2 models as part of a group.

4 minutes ago, nallath said:

With 3MF it's possible to maintain the grouping (and thus their relative position to each other). But that does require that your modeling tool exports the 2 models as part of a group.

So far, the packages I use do not do that. Now to be fair, I stopped upgrading 3DSMax after 2016 as their direction is not really anything that will help what I am working with. But even my other programs do not export to 3MF. However, I do have a package or two that will export the 'scene' as multiple objects in .OBJ file.

I still need to get deeper into Blender to find its limitations, but 3DCoat, which I do use a lot, has that capability.