Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
stevenfayers

Print optimisation idea - One tower at a time

Hi

I hope I'm not breaking rules by posting a suggestion here. If I am, perhaps you can point me to where I can suggest something.

I love Cura and regularly make use of various features, including the print "One at a time" option for multiple small models on the build plate.

I have a suggestion which relates to bigger models where there are multiple "towers" of model which are not contiguous in one layer. If there was a setting that would allow parts of each tower to be build in a similar fashion to the "one at a time" mode in sections that match the gantry height of the printer. I've tried to demonstrate what I mean with the attached rough drawing, where each coloured section is printed in a "one at a time mode". This would:

a) reduce the movements between towers on each layer

b) reduce the need for retractions

c) reduce stringing

d) improve print quality in each block

e) increase print speed

This would need to take into account the print head dimensions and gantry height in the same manner as the "One at a time" mode and assess the feasibility of using this mode over >1 layer where the distance between printed material is sufficient to avoid print head colliding with the print.

Cheers

Steven

one tower at a time.png

Edited by stevenfayers

That would be a very complicated feature for something that I couldn't use for any of the thousands of print's I've made in the past.  but pretty cool.  To make it work on surfaces other than flat surfaces like this it would have to have a 3d model of the print head.  So if someone modified their printer (say added a larger fan) they would have to avoid this feature.