13.06.4 struggling with Ball in Box

mgg942

Posted · 13.06.4 struggling with Ball in Box

Probably something I'm doing wrong, but maybe not.

Try as I might I can't get good results with 13.06.4 and this Ball in Box: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:106850

But no problem with 13.04.

When I try with 13.06.4 no skirt is printed with line count set to 1, or 3 or 4 which I've also tried.

Also the printing starts from the centre and works outwards. And before the outermost part is started the first z movement has been carried out.

I had similar problems with this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33072

Thought that it might be a problem with the stl file so then tried the one referenced at the top of this. As that was not better I then tried using 13.04 - no problem.

So, is it me, or 13.06.4?

And before the outermost part is started the first z movement has been carried out.

That's not good.

There is a "bug" in that model. It has a rectangular block inside part of the important part of the model. I think the rectangle is for support. Anyway you should go to the expert settings "fix horrible" settings and check "type b". This should make it slice closer to Cura 13.04.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look at the layer one in the layer view in both 13.06.4 (with Fix horrible Type B enabled) and 13.04. In both case with Raft, Exterior Support and Skirt count 1.

Screen shots below. 13.04 still seems better for this model.

Ball In Box 130604 1304

Oh! It's the skirt setting you have a problem with? That was not clear from your post. Sounds like a bug. What did you set the skirt distance to?

I've never tried doing a raft *and* a skirt before. Seems like if you have a raft then you don't need a skirt as the purpose of the skirt is to get the plastic flowing and to double check your bed height/leveling and the raft does all this plus it also compensates for bad leveling.

I think that maybe your eye skipped this line in my original post:

"When I try with 13.06.4 no skirt is printed with line count set to 1, or 3 or 4 which I've also tried."

As far as I can recall I didn't alter the skirt distance so it would have been the default of 3.0mm.

I agree that there is little point in a skirt plus a raft. I was trying (badly) to make the point that I couldn't get a skirt in 13.06.4 as I could in 13.04.

The skirt may not be the key issue. Using 13.06.4, with support from the buildplate, printing starts from the inside out - as I think is shown in layer one in the layer view. Have you had a chance to have a look at this with the model? Might be easier than dealing with my half-informed posts!

Sorry, no. Either it's a bug in which case Daid should answer. Or it's a feature in which case Daid should answer. But either way I don't care about skirts combined with raft as it seems silly.

OK - thanks for your interest.

With a raft enabled skirt gets disabled.

OK - forget the raft. Wish I never introduced it as it's only confused matters.

My basic point is that I had great difficulty printing the Ball in a box (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:106850) with 13.06.4, but found it straightforward in 13.04.

Rightly or wrongly I thought is something to do with the where the skirt is printed and the effect of this on the first few layers.

The image below shows layer 1 in 13.04 and 13.06.4 with a photo of the Ball in a box inserted into the image.

In both cases, no support, no raft. Skirt line count 1, skirt distance 3mm, 0.1 layer height, 0.3 initial layer height.

So, is the skirt performance in 13.06.4 as it should be?

Ball In Box 130604 1304 No raft 1

Did you check "type b" in "fix horrible"? Does that make a difference on the skirt? Hmm. Probably not.

In old cura the skirt avoids *all* the layers above. In the new cura the skirt only avoids touching the bottom layer of the part.

I can see cases where either might be preferred. For example if you have a part that is the full width of the machine (205 by 205mm) but the bottom layer is only 100mmX100mm then you want the skirt to be close to the 100mm layer otherwise you will hit the limit switches.