Changing Flow rate in Cura 3.2.1

farbod

Posted · Changing Flow rate in Cura 3.2.1

So I am new to Ultimaker and Cura software. I am using UM2+ and I need to fine-tune the flow rate (extrusion multiplier) in Cura 3.2.1. I do see it is hidden and can only be unlocked by changing the Gcode Flavour.  Is there any other way to adjust/unlock the flow rate without changing other parameters? 

Thanks in advance,

I'm not sure what you want.  There are probably 8 ways to change flow. 

Do you want to change flow for the entire print?  Or just certain layers?  Or what?

If doing it for all prints, then the recommended way is to do it on the printer - on the right menus you can configure your material.  First select the material (e.g. PLA), then customize it and change the flow to say 110%, than save it and select PLA.  Now if you start a new print and after it gets started you go into the TUNE menu, you should see the flow set to 110%.  There are some UM2 firmware bugs where you might lose this setting on power failure.  I found I had to save it twice - or save it once, then edit a different material and save that as well, then power cycle and load it up and it should remember.  You could also tweak the filament diameter.  If you want to increase flow by 10% then you could decrease the filament diameter by square root of 1.1 (110%).  The square root is because area is proportional to diameter squared.

If you want to do all this stuff in cura of different flow settings for different areas of your part, then go into machine settings and create a custom machine.  Choose "marlin" gcode flavor.  Set x,y,z to correct values (200,200,300 will work but you can go bigger than that).  printhead settings don't matter unless you do a print in "one at a time mode" where you are printing multiple objects all consecutively.  These values keep the head from hitting the previously printed part and keep the part from hitting the x/y gantry rods.

I appreciate the response. Yes, I was trying to modify the flow in Cura in order to calibrate the tolerance of a model. Setting a new custom machine with marlin gcode worked the best in Cura.

Thank you