Cura 3.3.1 - Unable to add custom materials

upatamby

Posted · Cura 3.3.1 - Unable to add custom materials

Today I tried to add a new material in Cura (via Preferences, Configure Cura, Materials).

I duplicated the Generic CPE and then started to change some settings:

Display Name: PETG

Brand: BrandXYZ

Material Type: PETG (doesn't exist in Cura)

and then, as soon as I leave the last field field, the material has gone, without any warning or message. Another material (ABS) is then selected. At first I didn't notice that this happened so I entered several other values, but I was altering the wrong material! Unfortunately there is no Cancel-button on this form so I wasn't really happy. 

So please UM/Cura-team,

- add a Cancel-button to this form

- support unknown materials OR give a clear warning before throwing away my entered data OR make the Material Type-box a selection box.

Thanks!

Posted · Cura 3.3.1 - Unable to add custom materials

You can get around this problem by calling it after your 'Brand' name and enter the details as normal - i.e. I called PVA 'OB-PVA' and it displays OK 

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · Cura 3.3.1 - Unable to add custom materials

It's not a bug it's a feature ?

In the Cura definition folder of 'ultimaker'  printers there are the following statements

"version": 2,
        "name": "Ultimaker",
        "inherits": "fdmprinter",
        "metadata": {
            "author": "Ultimaker",
            "manufacturer": "Ultimaker B.V.",
            "category": "Ultimaker",
            "visible": false,
            "exclude_materials": [ "generic_hips", "generic_petg" ]

I think they put PETG because they think it would'nt work on all the printers which are 'children' of the ultimaker (for instance UM3), except if in the child definition file you have a different "exclude_materials" list of material types

If you have a printer created form the custom FDM printer there is no exclude_materials, so if you select this printer you will see your PETG material !!!

Edited by JCD
    text edition