Cura 3.3 completely broke USB connection with CR10 S5

jkushwara

Posted · Cura 3.3 completely broke USB connection with CR10 S5

I've had an ongoing issue that's prevented me from using Cura at all since installing 3.3 with my CR10S5. I'd been running 3.2.1 just fine and printing via USB. After installing 3.3 the print from usb option would not display, and the monitor showed no connection. Tried using 3.2.1 again and the same result - can't connect to the printer at all now with either 3.2.1 or 3.3 . Tried deleting the machine profiles, and re-adding them again with no luck. Any suggestions ? Would I need to completely un-install both versions and re-install 3.3 - and are there user preference files that I would need to delete for a fresh install ? 

Simplify 3D is able to connect to the same printer through USB with no issues, so it's not hardware related. 

windows/mac/linux?   The com port is probably tied up for some reason.  You could reboot or kill all processes that might be using the com port (some version of cura might be semi-crashed but locking up the com port).  When you plug the usb into the computer (if it's windows) you should hear a particular sound (ba dunk).  where the second not is a higher pitch.  When unplug it is almost the same sound but the pitch goes down.

When you hear the upward pitch you can open device manager (on windows) and you should see a USB service pop up and then dissapear and a COM service pop up.  Check that all that is working to simplify if the issue is maybe not related to cura at all.

If you have windows I strongly recommend using cura to slice but then use pronterface to print over USB.  It has amazing features.

Thanks gr5 ! Windows 2010 . I resolved it by uninstalling both versions, and manually deleting all the cura pref files from my user directories. Reinstalled 3.3. and was able to connect.  Just out of curiosity, I then reinstalled 3.2.1 and that wouldn't connect at all. Seems like once the printer is added to 3.3 it won't allow a connection to 3.2.1 ?

Will definitely check out pronterface ! Thanks for the tip. I've been wanting to find a good controller that updates in real time. S3D's control panel is great -  it's slice preview updates with the print layer by layer, displays the Gcode as it's being sent and offers a nice set of machine jogging controls.