Finding RFID detected materials in Cura?

june

Posted · Finding RFID detected materials in Cura?

I am a new user of an Ultimaker 3, and I have what is probably a simple question.

I've loaded Ultimaker-brand RFID tagged materials on the printer, and the printer OLED display shows the correct type for each.

When I work in Cura, though, the Extruder 1/2 settings let me pick any material, and I don't know how to get them to "reset" to the ones actually detected on the machine. Is there a way to remotely see what the UM3 has currently detected on the spool, and also see what type of print core is loaded in each extruder slot? My printer is located far from my workstation so being able to remind myself about what is loaded would be helpful.

Hi @june , welcome to our community of 3D printing experts. 

Which version of Cura are you using? Is your Ultimaker connected to the same network as your laptop? I believe there should be a sync button that sync Cura to the configuration of the Ultimaker 3 you are connected to. 

I am connected to the same network. I am using whatever version was out just a week ago. What does the Sync button look like and where is it located?

Posted (edited) · Finding RFID detected materials in Cura?

At least in the Windows version, this is pretty hard to find. Look in the upper-right part of the Curo window. The rectangle in the far upper-right -- the one with just a checkmark and an arrow in it -- is the available-configurations menu. (See the circled area of the first pic below.)

Click there, and you'll see your current Ultimaker configuration displayed. Click anywhere in that rectangle showing the extruder settings, and you'll autoselect those materials and print cores in Cura. 
    (If you're printing in a network environment with multiple Ultimakers, I believe you'll see a list of all the available configurations on that Cura Connect instance, and you can click any of them and auto-select the appropriate printer, as well as configuring the Cura material and print core settings.)

Configuration Menu Location.png

Configuration Menu Location 2.PNG

Edited by KickahaOta
    Clarified how multi-printer networks work -- thanks nallath!
    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Finding RFID detected materials in Cura?
    11 hours ago, KickahaOta said:

(If you're printing in a network environment with multiple Ultimakers, I believe you'll see a list of all the available configurations, and you can click any of them and auto-select the appropriate printer, as well as configuring the Cura material and print core settings.)

You see the list of all printers / configurations connected to the Cura Connect instance you are connected with, not all printers on the network.

Edited by nallath
    • Like 1

That's perfect, I had totally missed this. Clicking the checkmark (which is blue if the settings are synced, gray otherwise) and then clicking inside the settings rectangle causes them to sync.

I totally missed that - there's no indication that's what it's for.