Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
stevie.d

Varying Print quality

I've been having this recurring issue with tall thick prints for a while now I've checked belts and gone from having them really tight to somewhat looser to really loose,I've messed around with the bed too but nothing seems to make this go away,it only seems to happen on Prints with thick walls requiring fil The walls on this model are http://www.flickr.com/photos/90997546@N04/9313787496/

is on the left hand side of the printer Fan side and is as good quality as I can get ,the second pichttp://www.flickr.com/photos/90997546@N04/9311001725/in/photostream/

is the back side and the third is the right ,http://www.flickr.com/photos/90997546@N04/9313787840/in/photostream/

each side has varying levels of quality I'm pretty stumped at this stage my settings are

Layer Height.09

Speed 65 Max

Fill Density 75%

Shell .4

Bottom /Top .4

Temp 240

This is interesting... I've seen something similar in some of my test prints with thin layers and very high speeds. The print always gets thin and starts to fail on the right side, where the head is moving in a positive y direction.

I don't know if its related to cooling, or direction of travel, or both.

As an experiment, it might be interesting to repeat the print with the fan turned off, and see if that makes any difference.

Looks like underextrusion - please post a photo of your extruder with the extruder closed. Also with the extruder closed, measure the length of the spring. It should be about 11 to 11.5mm.

Apologies for not replying sooner, it appears that it was the Infill overlap as suggested by illuminarti

took the overlap down to 5% which was leaving lines at the top of my model where there was an inset with support material and just ended up making the infill 100% and overlap at which seemed to do the trick, the back of the part was still slightly rougher but attributing that to fan position so reversed the part and it came out ok,