How to force retracts for ALL travel moves?

Gabe_D

Posted · How to force retracts for ALL travel moves?

Hello! I am getting good prints except for my non-retracted travels leaving blobs everywhere. When cura does retract the travel areas look good. How do I force Cura to retract for ALL travel moves?

I couldn't figure out how to edit my initial post, but I figured out my problem was I had "combing" enabled. Combing moves do not include retracting. So I can get nice retracts with no  combing, or I can get combing with no retracts. Any way to get both?

Posted (edited) · How to force retracts for ALL travel moves?

Combing is when travelling on places already (or will be) printed in the same layer

Did you try these settings ?

CaptureCombing.JPG.353395698ff687ac3b3fd0b094c7821a.JPG

I think they will be a good compromise between quality and speed (retraction is time consuming, z hop movements as well)

Edited by JCD

There is also now a Max Comb Distance With No Retract setting that when set to a non-zero value, all combing moves longer than that distance will use retraction (but not z-hop). So this gives you the ability to comb short distances and retract for long distance travel.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smartavionics said:

There is also now a Max Comb Distance With No Retract setting that when set to a non-zero value, all combing moves longer than that distance will use retraction (but not z-hop). So this gives you the ability to comb short distances and retract for long distance travel.

This sounds perfect! If I understand correctly, it will retract "while" combing? And this is available in the current release of Cura? I'm away from my PC right now but I'm excited to check ASAP.

2 minutes ago, Gabe_D said:

This sounds perfect! If I understand correctly, it will retract "while" combing? And this is available in the current release of Cura? I'm away from my PC right now but I'm excited to check ASAP.

It's in the 3.4 beta so will be in 3.4 when it arrives.

Awww, hurry up and wait I guess ? Any source for pre-compiled beta binaries?

There's a link to the beta binaries on the Ultimaker Cura download page, https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software .

1 minute ago, KickahaOta said:

There's a link to the beta binaries on the Ultimaker Cura download page, https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software .

Excellent, thanks so much!

never mind, found the comb distance setting.

Edited by Gabe_D

It's definitely there (at least in the Windows beta). You may have to go to the configuration screen and make the setting visible.

Comb Retract.PNG

Is it possible to use this setting to avoid these diagonal travel lines on the first layer?

TravelLines.jpg

Edited by Uhlhorn

9 hours ago, Uhlhorn said:

Is it possible to use this setting to avoid these diagonal travel lines on the first layer?

To completely avoid those lines you need to:

1 - set combing mode to no skin

2 - use z-hop

Also, setting the max comb distance with no retract will help reduce oozing while combing.

Thanks!

I set „Max comb distance with no retract“  to something different than zero and it works! 🙂