My first print. Advice wanted.

Posted · My first print. Advice wanted.

Hi everyone!

I'll quickly introduce myself. My girlfriend and I play a lot of board games and are in the very early stages of designing our own. She decided to surprise me with a MP Select Mini V2 last weekend and I was immediately hooked! I wasn't blown away by the quality out of the box, but I started tweaking and printing and tweaking and building, then the next day the micro SD Port died. Wouldn't read any cards I put into it no matter what. So we returned it and I spent the rest of the day scouring the interwebs to find my replacement printer. I already had some filament that my GF had bought for me to start with, so I didn't want to get into anything like the Form 2, even though the detail the Form 2 can produce is amazing. We really wanted to get a 3D Printer that would last us a long time, be easy to use, and most importantly, be able to produce the quality prints we're looking for miniatures. I decided on the UM2+ and just got it today! Part of the reason I chose the UM2+ was because of my lurking on this forum and seeing all the amazing posts with great advice. 

So anyway, I decided to break in my UM2+ with some 3DBenchy tests. Here's my first attempt with the only default setting changed was the speed dropped to 45mm/s and the printing temp was set to 195.

IMG-20180621-WA0015.thumb.jpg.86c966e8195e164e19391fd2dd275a98.jpg

IMG-20180621-WA0017.thumb.jpg.75983086545d77f5db2d8e8df68eb7f9.jpg

IMG-20180621-WA0019.thumb.jpg.c00f6f3736775bd15ba18f2c8743106b.jpg

The only thing I really noticed were the arches of the windows and doorways and would really appreciate any advice on settings to change to really dial in a default profile that I can tweak when needed.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'd say that this first attempt is very nice. Not too sure what caused the little problems on the arches, so I'll let the more expert people here have a look at it.

Thanks Brulti! I think the arches could be coming out that way because of the speed. I was printing at a 45mm/s speed and my second attempt was at 35mm/s. It was better, but still had a few imperfections in the arches of the doorways and windows. I didn't have time to kick off another test print before leaving for work today, but I'm thinking of trying it at about 30mm/s to see if that helps with the bridging (please correct me if that's not the right term!). 

I don't think you want to go too slow, for bridging and overhangs you want to have some speed. But also sufficient cooling, therefore it is better to keep some speed and lower the temp a little bit. 

Very curious to hear more about that board game of yours ?

Thanks everyone! I took your advice and lowered the hotend to 190 and things have been much better!

First big print job was for my GFs desk at her office.

MVIMG_20180702_195931.thumb.jpg.320851059b87971c869b805f3f7f51c7.jpgMVIMG_20180702_195906.thumb.jpg.8f9a67b1f274a0254953ff55ed29ecf3.jpg

• Like 1