Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

I am new to the Ultimaker ecosystem and I recently acquired a 2+. What's the best (and safest) way for me to achieve higher temperature on a 2+? I came across the E3D V6 mod and 3D Solex heaters so far. Alternatively is it possible to just "upgrade" my coupler and tweak the max temperature setting in firmware? I just want to consistently reach 280C without compromising the rest of my machine.

Thanks, conny_g. Yeah, I came across that awesome mod awhile back. I believe they used E3D hotend to achieve those temperatures. Upon re-reading it, however, I think I might be able to reach 280C just by replacing the OEM PTFE coupler. On the other hand, is that a safe modification supported by the controller board on 2+? I would hate to replace the board down the road...

Edit: realized the coupler on 2+ is TFM not PTFE. Would TFM support 280C?

Edited by killmelast

I don't think TFM will do those temperatures for extended periods of time, and it's still PTFE-based so you will likely get offgassing.

People tend to do hot end swaps for anything above 250˚C. I've got a drop-in hot end swap design but I haven't tried to make one work with 2.85mm filament yet.