S5 - Messy prints

Posted (edited) · S5 - Messy prints

This may be related to the post I made in the Tough PLA materials forum, but I loaded up eSun Pro+ PLA in extruder 2 (AA 0.4 core with default PLA settings) and I am getting the same sloppy results as I am getting with the Tough PLA (where by the Tough PLA was using the detected settings and all default).  

Here is a video.  Notice how uneven the top most layer is on the model and how it seems to be pooling in the front.

https://youtu.be/PnEnHybQU7Y

I would have thought I was running too hot on the filament or the flow was too great, but a roll of fresh Black Tough PLA with NFC-detected settings is doing the same thing.

Here are my settings from the material manager in Cura

458721770_ScreenShot2018-07-18at9_40_02PM.thumb.png.75eb95853303e7f6d5468de6fbbc8dd3.png

Here are some more pics mid print - these should be smooth on the outside with no ridges or stucco type of surface texture.

IMG_0962.thumb.jpg.7f89165c1891d69a6323bf5d723d0648.jpg

IMG_0963.thumb.jpg.91461154b5518bfea9a2097a9451bfe9.jpg

Here is the model in Cura

2070715138_ScreenShot2018-07-18at10_20_40PM.thumb.png.7bb2b49aedf87238609c41379de4b8c6.png

Edited by chuckmcgee

Posted · S5 - Messy prints

This is what happens to PLA when it's too hot.

Try lowering the print temperature, or maybe print with the doors open. (Can't see your screenshots, they aren't loading for me).

This happens to me as well with PLA, as the first few layers are exposed to the heat of the heat bed and they tend to peel up like that.  You could try a different material, like CPE+, as well. It's especially prevalent if you have an angle that starts very low down to the bed like your cup does. I think this helps trap heat down there.