Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  

Layers Shifting/Don't Move

Recommended Posts

I first noticed my layers were shifting too much in the y-axis, as seen here when trying to print the Bezier Heary Bracelet from Thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8521), which can be seen here & here:

Y-axis shift view 2

Y-axis shift view 1


At first, I thought my right y-axis belt was loose, so I tightened it, but to no avail. Having then noticed my top left screw on my y-axis motor was not completely screwed in, I ended up having to dismount the whole motor before realigning each spacer and screwing the motor back in, making sure to tighten the timing belt. I decided to also take that time to tighten my x-axis timing belt, just in case.

That seemed to make it worse as I now started to see problems in both the x and y direction with my extrusion head stuttering and not moving smoothly. Thinking it was a long pulley issue, I tried loosening and sliding my right y-axis long belt (didn't help), and fiddling with the left y-axis long belt (also didn't help).

For a side by side comparison of what's now occuring, Chopsticks for Kids (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:38421), used to print as this when I first encountered the issue:

Chopsticks for Kids Problem 1

Chopsticks for Kids Problem 2

before now printing as this:

Chopsticks for Kids Problem 3

My extruder is square, so I know that's not the problem. Thoughts?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure that your short belts aren't rubbing on the frame, and are sitting straight in their pulleys. Assuming they are, then it looks like you have loose pulleys. Use a permanent marker to mark the position of each pulley on its shaft, and see which ones are moving as you print.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I moved my short belts off the frame and tightened everything, and it seems to have solved the problem! I'm currently reprinting those chopsticks at 300 microns. My UM is running a bit higher pitched than normal, but I'm going to assume that's because of the decreased layer resolution (it's my first low-res print).

Thanks for the help!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you fixed it. This is a common problem. You really have to tighten the hell out of those little tiny set screws. You should have gotten spares in your UM kit. I have heard that the spares are much better quality and if you get slips in the future throw away the old set screws and put in the newer pointier ones.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 114 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!