Process for empty filament - filament runout - on s5

Posted · Process for empty filament - filament runout - on s5

Hi all,

Can't seem to find official documentation on what to do when your s5 stops the print due to filament run-out.  A 7-hour print stopped midway this evening to let me know I needed to replacement filament.  I discovered this well after the bed was lowered and the hot end cooled to about 30 degrees.  Instinctively, I removed the last of the previous filament from the bowden tube and manually fed the new filament to the [cold] nozzle and resumed print.

The option to increase temp on the core was greyed out on the interface and I was nervous about feeding the replacement at the feeder for fear there would be some kind of play in the bowden tube between the new filament in the old, and create a jam somewhere before the new filament would have pushed the old filament completely through.

Is this what I should have done?  Is there a better way?

The print resumed correctly (although some of the support layers look like junk, but I manicured them back to salvageable and the print seems to have successfully resumed.

Thanks for the advice.

Posted · Process for empty filament - filament runout - on s5

Yes, just go to the configuration overview screen (second icon on the left) and tap onto the material in question. Then select 'change'. The swap routine makes sure you will continue on the spot in the gcode but it might result in a plastic spot on the print.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies