Step By Step Photo Guide to assemble Ultimaker 2011

ian

Posted · Step By Step Photo Guide to assemble Ultimaker 2011

Here is a great place to set down all the steps, 1 by 1 to build this fantastic 3d printer correctly.

Because of the forum format here, we can also discuss and easily modify these instructions, to create the perfect FIRST TIME USER MANUAL.

Ian :D

You can build it with 1 person in a 8 hour stretch:

But I recommend splitting it in a 2 day build, I was really tired at the end.

can i ask one question.

How long did it take you guys to build the ultimaker?

Thanks.

13 Hours

and can some one show a photo of the tools i will need to put this together ?

The kit comes with almost everything you need (even the right screwdriver for the hex bolts)

I only added:

-A knife (to finish the laser cuts, which where not perfect in my kit)

-A computer (for reading the instructions)

-A screw driver with a hex nut bit. (optional, you can also use pliers or your hands)

-A hammer (don't ask, really, don't)

-A hammer (don't ask, really, don't)

I think it's for adding "persuasion" while assembling the UM..

I'm still waiting for my ultimaker...

But when it arrives, I want to have the best chances of it working right out of the box (after assembly, of course). I've read the build guide at wiki.ultimaker.com, and I've also been following the conversations at ultimaker.googlegroups.com, which post frequent problems and possible solutions that some users are experiencing.

So how current is the wiki with these newest developments? Is there a place to get the most current best advice for sucess for a new user, including the latest stable software and firmware, and the latest mechanical variations on the newest builds, the one I will likely recieve (eventually)?

Also, I hear mostly from the people having problems, and not so much from the people printing happily away with their new machines. Can anyone hazard a guess as to the percentage of imediately satisfied customers vs. those having problems right out of the gate?

I'm new to this forum, so posting a new topic right away may not be the best manners. But what dou you think of a topic under the heading "New Users, a starting point"?

Thanks from a new user,

Warren Davis

I'm still waiting for my ultimaker...

But when it arrives, I want to have the best chances of it working right out of the box (after assembly, of course). I've read the build guide at wiki.ultimaker.com, and I've also been following the conversations at ultimaker.googlegroups.com, which post frequent problems and possible solutions that some users are experiencing.

So how current is the wiki with these newest developments? Is there a place to get the most current best advice for sucess for a new user, including the latest stable software and firmware, and the latest mechanical variations on the newest builds, the one I will likely recieve (eventually)?

Also, I hear mostly from the people having problems, and not so much from the people printing happily away with their new machines. Can anyone hazard a guess as to the percentage of imediately satisfied customers vs. those having problems right out of the gate?

I'm new to this forum, so posting a new topic right away may not be the best manners. But what dou you think of a topic under the heading "New Users, a starting point"?

Thanks from a new user,

Warren Davis

The wiki was fairly up to date when I made mine but seems much more up to date now. Follow there links and suggestions for firmware and software which will make trouble shooting for you and anyone helping much easier. Follow the instructions carefully and take your time on the build so you put it together firm and square. Keep looking at the wiki, forums etc. in the mean time for any extra heads up. Florian's got a good site for beginners as well. http://techwall.net/

Good luck

The wiki is quite up to date, I managed to assemble a Rev3 kit (which they are shipping right now) without to much problems. So don't worry.

One of the issues I had was that it wasn't clear for me where the cable guides had to go. Which is written in text, but I found it a bit hard to follow. It's simple, the 2 large ones go in front, the 2 short ones in the lower back (you'll understand once you get there)

And the final cabling can be a bit messy:

http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20110919 ... small.jpeg

good question.

I would really like to hear how people are starting out and also see what type of producst they are producing in stage 1.

Ian

I have also gone through the site wiki.ultimater.com.It helped me in step by step installation but my extruder motor it is not working properly.Could anyone hear help me?

I have also gone through the site wiki.ultimater.com.It helped me in step by step installation but my extruder motor it is not working properly.Could anyone hear help me?

Welcome, Laura..

You should start up a new thread here with more details about what's wrong!

Is the Ultimaker currently sold still the 2011 version, i.e. can I still use this guide for the assembly?