Layer view not matching solid view

chuckmcgee

Posted (edited) · Layer view not matching solid view

Hello all

Has anyone seen this before where the layer view in Cura is showing a preview of the print and not matching the model view?  This is a smaller print I am doing at 0.15 layer height, so maybe this is common - just not sure I have ever seen it this pronounced.  I have seen this even when changing wall thickness, infill, and various layer heights (from 0.06 to 2.0).  I am assuming the grey shadow effect around the previewed layers is what the solid looks like as compared to what would be printed.

109625633_ScreenShot2018-08-09at12_50_20PM.thumb.png.8ce05040fd96c1ad2291067ef007d727.png

Here is the solid view:

443729232_ScreenShot2018-08-09at12_55_01PM.thumb.png.7e78e00c6d2d1cb16c32b6796aea219d.png

Thanks in advance for the education

Edited by chuckmcgee

Posted · Layer view not matching solid view

Yes, have the same edge like feature on a part I struggle with at the moment (other issues). The geometry is smaller than the nozzle can produce accurately so it's filtered out. You can force it to be printed  by enabling print tiny wall.

I'm just a novice on this so please correct me if I got it wrong.

Posted (edited) · Layer view not matching solid view

Taking into account of the above information and just to expand it a slight bit more:

1. This will also happen with layer heights.
    2. Can use horizontal expansion to make more printable, but can throw off dimensional accuracy
    3. Can also futz around a bit with the line widths.

I have really pushed the limits of the nozzle to width ratios with some things. This is an example of using that philosophy with my S5 and a standard 0.4 nozzle width:

And, sometimes, no matter what you do, you have to factor in the needs of the print. Maybe in some instances, you do need those thin areas....but to get them, you either reduce line widths or use a smaller core. This increases the overall printing time, but increases the detail abilities.

It is all dependent on your needs. If you are making functional models for use, fit and accuracy make the rules. If you are just prototyping for a more accurate process later on (Machine tooled parts, injection molding, etc) accuracy can be sacrificed to a small degree. You are just looking at design and aesthetics.

A (sorta) appropriate example was a debate I had with a student. Loved it when the student thought they knew more than me. 2 years experience (if that much in most cases) vs. 40 years experience.....

This student was adamant that in printing out images for a client to review, they must be a 300 PPI image to print from. The debate centered on my proposal that to meet deadlines (and this always happened to me in production positions that were time critical) this would not be so and you could get away with as low as 100 PPI on a print.

Back and forth, me trying to explain the differences between  half tone plate processing, stochastic processing and the differences between ink jet printing and traditional offset printing. Basically, ink jet and stochastic was far more flexible.

So, I made one image at 300 PPI (5 hour CGI render) vs a 150 PPI image (45 minutes) and printed them out. I knew the differences and marked them only as A and B.

Took him 10 minutes to find the difference. And that was knowing there WAS a difference. What it came down to was the amount of detail in a small wicker chair that a client would not even notice as it still looked like wicker.

My argument and need to show the difference was predicated on a situation that arose a gazillion times in my career: Just before a crucial meeting, some nimrod would run into my space and demand a change, but still meet the deadline. The deadline drove the decision. Upon approval, I could re-render the high rez for proper output overnight. Or make changes and STILL re-render overnight. Full on Spock moments abounded with my approach to things.... ?

You just do not keep an executive from a major corporation waiting because some knucklehead decided on a last minute change because "The computer was doing the 'work'. not a person. I mean,  these are executives, of whose time was worth hundreds of dollars per hour, waiting. There is such a thing as too much perfection for certain situations. Fortunately for me, my compulsions are for time and deadline and not absolute perfection. Basically, meet deadlines and work out perfection when at final approval or final production.

Edited by kmanstudios