Wall gap in generated GCode

enm

Posted · Wall gap in generated GCode

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Cura and am trying to slice a simple model from Thingiverse in Cura 3.4.1, but the GCode that it's generating has a gap in the wall in one section of the print. I verified that the gap exists via an online GCode viewer, so it's not a glitch in the display of the GCode itself.

I have tried changing many settings as well as restarting Cura to no avail. I have not seen this in any other models I've sliced so far.

Is this a problem in Cura, or something I need to do differently?

Thanks!

CactusPot.stl

Cactus Pot.gcode

GCode Gap.PNG

Well there are many possibilities but the most likely two:

1) The model is not manifold.  Try viewing the model in xray view.  If you see any red or brown then the model is really bad.  You can probably fix it with the free netfabb repair service.  You have to create an account but the repair service is then free.

2) Maybe the wall is just too thin there.  Try setting the line widths to 0.2mm just for an experiment to see if the problem goes away.  If so then this wall is too thin.  There are lots of things you can do but playing with line width might be the easiest.  There are thin wall options as well.  A 0.4mm nozzle can print reasonably well down to 0.3mm.  Line width smaller than that for a 0.4mm nozzle will start to get bad quality.

3) Normals are wrong.  Probably the problem is #1 or #2 above.

Thanks for the tips, gr5. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be the cause of my problems. There are no red or brown colours in the x-ray view, and it's not fixed by changing the line widths to 0.2mm.

I have been trying other models, including ones that I have successfully printed last week (a 20mm calibration cube), and they are also getting holes in the walls, makes it look like it's something in Cura, and not in any STL file. Could I have ruined a setting somehow?

12 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Well there are many possibilities but the most likely two:

1) The model is not manifold.  Try viewing the model in xray view.  If you see any red or brown then the model is really bad.  You can probably fix it with the free netfabb repair service.  You have to create an account but the repair service is then free.

2) Maybe the wall is just too thin there.  Try setting the line widths to 0.2mm just for an experiment to see if the problem goes away.  If so then this wall is too thin.  There are lots of things you can do but playing with line width might be the easiest.  There are thin wall options as well.  A 0.4mm nozzle can print reasonably well down to 0.3mm.  Line width smaller than that for a 0.4mm nozzle will start to get bad quality.

3) Normals are wrong.  Probably the problem is #1 or #2 above.

So the issue is you have coasting turned on and the volume is set to 0.15.  It might print just fine - I don't know.  I've never used coasting.  I notice you have a gap in your teal colored skirt also.  This is also due to coasting.

• Like 3

That's it! I don't even remember turning it on, but it's off now, and the GCode output is now looking exactly as expected.

Thanks for your help!