Cura render issues?

Snuffleupagus

Posted · Cura render issues?

I have a model, and depending on how it's sat within Cura, it displays differently.

When sat on it's side, it displays perfectly, but when sat upright, several parts of the design are filled in. They fill in quite perfectly, and can be seen as infill when I look through the layers.

The model is a .obj from Blender, the filled in bits, two large ish holes, where 'carved' out from another block using a boolean modifier.

I don't want to start printing it only to find that Cura fills them in and gives me an inaccurate print.

Any insights are much appreciated. 

I'm guessing you are talking about Layer View, which shows the sliced result.

Have you checked your models in X-Ray View? In all likelyhood, there will be areas that show up red in X-Ray View. This means that your models are broken/non-manifold/not watertight/not well suited for 3d printing. There are applications and services that will let you repair your model before slicing, though it is best to model them non-broken.

• Like 1

Booleans on mesh objects are just a mess. It does not matter the program. It is just difficult to always do and some programs do it better than others. But it is just what it is.

If you upload your STK file, I can take a look at it. I am thinking it has an unwelded edge somewhere.

Thanks KMan!

Can't do the file right now, it's on another machine...  I will get back to you on this though.

Is there another way for extracting one shape from another without using Boolean modifiers? Anything I can have a look at / read about?

Sometimes you have to use booleans when there is no other way to make an object with any sort of efficiency. Since you are using Blender, I suggest that you ask their community about this. They have so many addons that may solve a lot of these issues.

• Like 1

Thanks, will do! ?

• Like 1

I hope you report back as I have blend installed and would like to know what you rind. There is an addon called "Hard Ops" (I think) that may be of use for you. I have it and although I have not used it, or really gotten into Blender yet, it looks pretty solid.

And make sure to post a picture (or pictures) of the problem. It will help others to understand the issue.

When I diagnose the STL file, I will most definitely post images and explanation. So many things to learn and pictures make it much easier. ?

Hello Everybody,

I am aware that this thread is from 2 years ago, but I just encountered the same problem. In order to solve this I went into edit mode with the object in Blender 2.83 and pressed "a" which selects all faces / vertices / edges, depending on what select mode you are in. The entire object should be highlighted. I then went to "Mesh" (see images), went to the "Normals" section, and selected "Recalculate Outside". This probably will not fix any edges that are not merged, but it will fix the faces that are inverted on the object. 

Hope this helps anyone with this issue.

Blender.Help.2.png