Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
michelide

Extruder Priming Feedrate and Feed Length For Priming Extruder

Hi All,

I believe I have stumbled upon something new to me that I have not yet encountered. I remember all the way back to when the ultimaker 2 was first released. The start and end code in cura did not pull the material out of the extruder after completing a print and fed the extruder tip a larger amount of material when starting. I have recently upgraded the feeder to the Ultimaker 2+ extruder and adjusted the feedrate accordingly (it prints excellently). Now the issue that I am having is that everytime I do a print I have to manually prime the extruder by moving the material in the firmware because the material move is either too short or at the wrong feedrate.

Is this something I have to add into start and/or end code in cura upon making the file to print? What kind of additions to the code do I need?

I'd prefer the material to not be removed from the extruder tip on completion and to be able to adjust the amount that the material extrudes before starting the print. This way I can change materials after each print (if I need to) and clean the tip by pulling the material out when it is almost cool. Or leave the material in so that it ejects more previously melted and solidified material the next time I print. Thereby preventing clogs and material blending in between changes.

Best Regards,

MicheliDE

I assume you set the gcode flavor to Marlin (from Ultigcode). If that's the case then you need to take care of priming yourself. This is what I used on my UM2+ for priming (tried to emulate the UM3 prime poop):

Start

G21
G90
M82
M107
G28 Z0
G28 X0 Y0
G1 X5 Y5 F9000
G1 Z2.2 F9000
G92 E0
G1 F400 E40
G92 E0
G1 F100 E10 Z7.0 F50
G92 E0
G1 X10 Y15 Z0.5 F500
G92 E0
G1 F9000
M117 Printing...

End

M104 S0 ;extruder heater off
M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)
G91 ;relative positioning
G1 E-1 F300  ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure
G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F9000 ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more
G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way
G28 Z0 ; home bed
M84 ;steppers off
G90 ;absolute positioning

Hi Nicolinux,

Yes I did set GCode to Marlin but have been troubleshooting back and forth between Ultimaker 2 and Marlin. I will set to Marlin for the next test.

I will give this a try for priming extruder 1 if I'd like to prime both extruders would I repeat this:

G92 E0
G1 F400 E40
G92 E0
G1 F100 E10 Z7.0 F50
G92 E0
G1 X10 Y15 Z0.5 F500
G92 E0
G1 F9000

over again while replacing E0 with E1 (for extruder 2)?

I now see that reprap is a better source for G code reference than the marlin website and yes M103 is described on reprap as turning all extruders off. Thanks!

M103 also causes extruder retraction as a default?

M104 T1 S0 would be to set temp of extruder 1 to 0?

M104 T2 S0 would be to set temp of extruder 2 to 0?

Edited by michelide