[REQ] TEMPERATURE control via Cura.

swatti

Posted · [REQ] TEMPERATURE control via Cura.

After some detective-work i learned cura once had a way to control nozzle temperature per layer. Those who had that turned on should still be able to but those of us who installed a version after the feature was removed can no longer use this feature...

Do i really have to install an old version just to get this working? Why was it removed? Is there a way to get it back by other means?

An older version had an option for "nozzle temperature control" and that remains a prequisite to unlock the per-layer settings STILL FOUND UNDER MATERIALS TAB, but as the forementioned has been removed, the settings wont appear.

So, a REQUEST:
- GIEF temp control!
- Let us change temperature for first ~3-4 layers.
- An option to considor each layer of raft as "first layer"
- An option to change after-raft-layer SEPARATE from others and WAIT to reach the temp (do an over-cool layer on top of raft for easy removal)
- An option to wait for temp to be reached or "just keep going" (forementioned after-raft layer excluded)
- An option to wait for nozzle and bed temperature before starting print or just go with firmware limits. (AKA: wait or start early with temp still raising, beds are slower to raise)

Cura has never had what you describe. The closest thing is using the tweak at Z plugin, which is still available within Cura.

I don't know what you mean by the per-layer setting found under material tab though. I'm pretty sure that there has not been a setting like that in Cura.

You can go to Extensions -> Post processing -> Modify G-code, and add the "Change at Z" script once or more times. This will give you some control over temperature at different heights (layers) of your print.

However, your issue seems to be that you cannot set temperatures in the sidebar. I *think* that you inadvertently set your gcode flavor to "Ultimaker 2" in Machine Settings. Go to the Printers pane of the preferences, and press the Machine Settings button. Locate the dropdown for gcode flavor, and set it back to Marlin.

All of this is not influenced by a version of Cura, but if you still want to try older versions of Cura they are available here:
    https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software/list

Note that you are coming across somewhat aggressively. That is not necessary.

Posted (edited) · [REQ] TEMPERATURE control via Cura.

I tried EVERY flavor of g-code. The "nozzle temperature control" is for reason unkown been hidden.

EDIT: My intent was not to be aggressive. Apologies.

Edited by swatti

Try "Marlin" again.

"Ultimaker 2" is the only flavor that sets Enable Nozzle Temperature Control to false, which removes all nozzle temperatures from the sidebar. The Enable Nozzle Temperature Control setting is not directly accessible (and has never been, in any version). If all else fails, you could install the Printer Settings plugin from the Toolbox. This makes the Enable Nozzle Temperature Control setting to the sidebar along with a whole host of other settings. I don't really recommend you do that though. First just set the gcode flavor to Marlin; Ultimaker 2 flavor is really only used for Ultimaker 2(+) printers.

Writing in all-caps is seen as shouting, shouting is seen as aggression. Over-explaining such things is sometimes seen as being pedantic, so I'll stop doing that now ?

Tried setting it to UM2. Then back to Marlin. No temp control. The settings tied to its visibility still taunt me in the list.

Installed the plugin. Settings now visible. 

Writing all in caps is "shouting" but did i write "all" in caps? No. I was hoping to point an importan part out so people focus on that instead of something else.

How did you add your printer to Cura? As a "Custom FDM Printer", or did you use a .def.json file that you downloaded somewhere? It is entirely possible that a third party .def.json file sets that Enable Nozzle Temperature setting.

I find that italics is a good way to guide emphasis, without shouting. Using bold text would be shouting again.

@swatti You could check the "cura.log" file to see if there are warnings or errors when you switch between the gcode flavors/apply your setting. You can find the log file location through the "Help" menu -> "Show configuration folder".

I do believe my printer was added as a custom one. That file-format is not familiar to me.

Cura.log has some errors in it, all klingon to me.

I need to wait for my current print to end before i can test the temp-settings.

As luck would have it, some of us speak the Klingon dialect that Cura.log is written in.

Can you upload it somewhere (eg pastebin.com) and post a link here?

3 hours ago, swatti said:

Oh, what might this be then?

ERROR.png

That's not temperature control per layer. That's temperature control on certain parts of the print (hence my confusion of what it was you meant).

You could also save a project file and share it with us. Since we can read the elvish moon script that Cura generates to sing the song of it's people to other Cura's, we can use that to figure out what is going wrong.