Gcode save has become extremely slow

swdenman

Posted · Gcode save has become extremely slow

I have been using Cura 3.4.1 and since yesterday 3.5 for a few days now. While still using 3.4.1, saving the gcode has become incredibly slow. In a typical model, I hit Prepare and the slicer executes in less than 10s. Then, when I hit Save to Removable Drive it takes 5 minutes or more, during which time Cura is unresponsive. Before yesterday, Saves were not a significant delay (a few seconds): I am not sure if some parameter I have changed could lead to this but I assume that in the Save process, all it is doing is writing data it has already sliced.

I have tried reinstalling Cura but no change.

Any pointers as to what could have happened gratefully received.

Simon

Do you perhaps have (m)any postprocessing scripts active?

Does this also happen if you save the gcode to another drive (eg to your desktop)?

It does also happen saving to the main SSD on my machine.

However I have fixed the problem without knowing exactly what caused it. I uninstalled both 3.4.1 and 3.5 again and then hunted around the disc for anything still remaining. There were 'cura' folders under my AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming folders. I deleted both of these and then reinstalled 3.5. Now the save is instantaneous.

I am trying to think what parameters I might have been adjusting at the time and I have an inkling it might have been the experimental Enable Bridge Settings parameters.

Hope this helps someone anyway!

Simon

1 hour ago, swdenman said:

Hope this helps someone anyway!

It would have been more helpful if you had backed up those files in AppData/Roaming. Now we'll never know what went wrong, untill someone else runs into the same problem.

From a cursory look, I can see that there was a postprocessing script active: "Post stretch script".

I'll have to check later if that could cause big delays.

No worries. Sorry too if I did! 

Thanks for looking into it.

Simon

Just had same problem and another problem that the print is retract all the filament out in the middle of long print. Checked gcode and found there is E reset but the G92 E0 is missing. (line is empty)

Found that the problem is using CR10 printer as Ender 3 in Cura 3.4, while in 3.5 there is Ender 3 printer added. So just change the printer solves all problems.