Manual Build Plate Levelling Problem

Posted · Manual Build Plate Levelling Problem

Hello!

I'm in a bit of a panic. I have an Ultimaker 3 for our library's makerspace, and our grand opening is the 13th. Everything has been running smoothly (this 3d printer is less than a year old), but suddenly, my prints have not been sticking. Filament curls and twists and every print unravels.

Here's what I did:

1. Checked the bowden tubes and feeders for blockages. None.

2. Cleaned the nozzles using atomic method, hot/cold pulls - they were a bit dirty but not much - I'm assuming that wasn't the problem as the issue was the same.

3. Calibrated xy axis.

4. Build Plate leveling - and here's the problem:

I chose to manually level the build plate. I followed the steps. When I got to the part where you are supposed to adjust the knobs on the underside of the plate, I can't for some reason. The two in front won't affect the build plate whatsoever. I tried tightening and loosening - nothing would bring the build plate closer to the nozzle, making the calibration card part impossible to complete. I hope my explanation makes sense. If needed, I can take pictures. Thank you!

Posted · Manual Build Plate Levelling Problem

So you might want to tighten all 3 leveling knobs an equal amount - say about 4 full turns and then do manual leveling again.  Or even better - loosen until the springs are loose then tighten about half way so the springs are all half way compressed.  Then start the leveling procedure.  I've only had to do this when I've taken the bed apart so this should be a pretty rare activity.

What you describe about plastic not sticking on the first layer sounds like a leveling issue where the bed is too far from the nozzle.  You can usually verify by pushing up on the bed and if it gets much better then it was too far from the nozzle.