Problem with Top/Bottom Line Directions

TMicke

Posted · Problem with Top/Bottom Line Directions

Using Cura 3.5 on a Mac.

Am I missing something or does the top/bottom line directions not work as it should?

If i leave it empty between the brackets or if i fill in numbers is the same, first layer 45° (I presume), second and all the rest is 0° (or actually more like 1 or 2° when looking at in the printer while it prints, ever so slightly the X axle moves back and forth while printing layer 2 and up.

22.png

33.png

44.png

Hi @TMicke, I looked at your project - it's a weird problem in that Cura thinks that the bottom few layers are bridge skin layers so it forces their line angles to a particular value. So why is Cura thinking that they are bridge skin areas? I think it is something to do with the model - notice in your images above how there is a little red region. That's actually the tip of the sword and it appears that the sword part of the model is not merged with the base and so it's kinda sticking into the base polygons and causing a problem with the bridged skin detection. I tried enablng the Remove Mesh Intersection setting and that does indeed allow the skin layers to have their correct angles. Whether it has some other bad effects I don't know. I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your time, much appreciated.

Since I’m a newbie with Cura I just want to ask, is this a reacurring error when merging models in Cura; am I better of merging them in another program?

Sidenote;

Just my luck, first attempt with Cura some month back it just started printing when I pressed print via USB without heating or homing any axes, pretty soon it slammed straight in the side and grinded against the printer wall. Managed somehow to get that to work. Then I printed one model with lots of support and I have never witnessed so many retractions and the travel speed was way to high so I was waiting for the printer to fall apart. Then I corrected that, I think, and next print got wasted with a clogged nozzle leaving it printing air.

Probably this tells more about me than the program ?

2 minutes ago, TMicke said:

Since I’m a newbie with Cura I just want to ask, is this a reacurring error when merging models in Cura; am I better of merging them in another program? 

I'm not really the best person to answer that question but I would have thought that it would be best that the model is complete and valid before it is loaded into Cura. I'm sure there's people on this forum that can advise you on this.

Problem solved, well at least I know how to avoid it. Thanks @smartavionics for your help.

For anyone else that it might help;

I had two models intersecting, a Viking and a Sword, see screen dump. To get rid of the problems with bottom line directions I raised the sword 1mm, so that it did NOT touch the bed. To be able to do that you have to make sure that 'Automatically [....] to the build plate' is un-checked in the preferences.

Xibalba.jpg

puma_punku.png