Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jens3

z-offset plugin

I have the z-offset plugin installed and am running cura 3.4.1 under Ubuntu 18.

It would appear that the z-offset functionality is broken under 3.4.1 as changing the value does not seem to affect the print in any way nor could I find anything in the g-code file that would suggest it is working.

I have removed and re-installed the plugin with no apparent change in behaviour.

Is the plugin broken ? Is anyone else using it successfully under 3.4.1 ?

It worked fine under 3.3.1!

The plugin could very well be broken; it is one of those things that I made because it was so often requested, but that I don't actually use (or need) myself. So keeping it in a working state depends on feedback from users like you.

Could you save a gcode file with the zoffset set to a non-0 value, and check if it contains the string "ZOFFSETPROCESSED"? If so, keep searching, for ";adjusted by z offset". This would mean that the plugin is doing something, but possibly at the wrong location.

Ahhhh, on looking at the g-code again I did indeed find the 'zoffsetprocessesd' string at the very top and the actual offset adjustment way further down than expected at <Layer1> at a z height of 0.6 mm (0.723 with the offset)

The code is included. z-offset is 0.123. Cura 3.41

Thank you very much for looking at this!

I must admit, I am a bit mystified why anybody would NOT use this feature. I find it essential to fine tune adhesion and the only other alternative is going through the EPROM settings which is much clumsier

CCR10_coupon.gcode

On many printers (eg UM2(+)), you can effectively change this setting in the firmware, hence my not needing it in the slicer.

I'll look in to the gcode.

I totally agree this is the single most useful feature added to Cura in a long time, its totally essential !, I level the bed then set the offset with this, I never have to mess about with the paper under the nozzle method. 

I have tested a quick slice and it looks like its working to me on Cura 3.5, here is the Gcode snippet, my z offset is set to 0.1 and its working as it should. 

G0 F4800 X47.118 Y97.868 Z0.5 ;adjusted by z offset
G92 Z0.4 ;consider this the original z before offset

Also I am not clear how @ahoeben you are adjusting this in firmware ? (I am using a 2+ BTW)

Thanks

Ah yes could well be. tbh the offset is soooooo useful to have in the Slicer, for example I have more of an offset for PETG than I do for PLA and I can dial this into the profiles for each material.

I am not sure if the plugin is actually broken from the post above are you ?, I truth I haven't tried changing the value as everything works for me, but doesn't sound like there is actually an issue ?. Would be a nightmare for me if it was actually broken ! ;(

19 minutes ago, Link said:

IAlso I am not clear how @ahoeben you are adjusting this in firmware ? (I am using a 2+ BTW)

?

I am using Marlin for firmware and yes, I can adjust z offset in firmware but it involves running a plugin, downloading current parameters, changing the offset, saving and uploading the new value and then going back. It is WAY more involved then changing the value in Cura in an area where I need to change values anyway.

PETG took a chunk of my freshly installed glass plate before I realized that things were broken ?

I would switch to Cura 3.5 but at the moment the backup feature doesn't seem to be working (can't log in) and I use a lot of custom profiles and don't want to risk loosing them (again).

I just fired up Cura 3.5 .... turns out that the z-offset is working fine in 3.5! It also turns out that I can log in for a configuration backup under 3.5. I am now wondering if I should try to manually shift all my settings and profiles from 3.4.1 to 3.5 and be done with all the current problems ????

I should point out that the Cura 3.5 setup is default instead of the substantially customized 3.4.1. I don't know if that has a bearing on the z-offset somehow. Don't know why it should but stranger things ave happened.

when I move version I always make copies of all my profiles fist then install the new Cura version alongside the existeng. Install the new version as a clean version (don't upgrade the old one), then add the profiles you saved into the new version.), if for any reason the new is not good you have both the old one still intact and a backup of the profiles anyway. 3.5 has been fine for me, no issues at all. I am using latest Mac OS

That may be how you do it, but it is not the way the Cura team envisions you doing it. Upgrading the previous configuration should just work, and if it doesn't it should be reported so it can be fixed.

I did install 3.5 as a new version. I also just tried upgrading 3.4.1 - Cura ignored my attempt (clicking on the 'upgrade' button produced no response).

I will have to look into finding where the profiles are again (in Ubuntu 18) but if I recall the last upgrade mess correctly, just moving the profiles didn't work right and it also didn't copy the settings and printer configurations. It was a real PITA ?

38 minutes ago, jens3 said:

(clicking on the 'upgrade' button produced no response)

The only thing that does (if it works) is opening a webbrowser to https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software

So if downloading Cura from that page is what you call "installing as a new version", there is no difference between that and "upgrading".

2 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

The only thing that does (if it works) is opening a webbrowser to https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software

So if downloading Cura from that page is what you call "installing as a new version", there is no difference between that and "upgrading".

Yes, that is how I would install the new version. I would have thought that 'upgrading' would have brought all configurations and profiles from the earlier version to the new version. Installing from new as I do does not bring anything across from the old version.

19 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Might be some wires crossed here, you can download it however you like, it does the same thing. It when you actually start the install of the new version (in Mac at least) it asks if you want to upgrade/replace the old version or install another new one. This is what I am talking about. I pick install another and have both versions present. This have nothing to do with the download link or process to get the application file