'Not in Skin' Combing behaviour

Link

Posted · 'Not in Skin' Combing behaviour

Hi,

@smartavionics I guess this might be one for you ?

I have noted some behaviour with the new implementation, when set to 'Not in skin' to extruder will comb within the walls which is great !, however when the 'max comb distance with retract' is exceeded then path it takes is still the same (within walls). even though it has retracted. For example I have the max comb distance set to 100, when this is breached the extruder retracts but the path it takes is still only within the wall, which can lead to an extremely complex and long path as it navigates the entire perimeter. 

I was thinking it would be better to take a more direct route once the retract is triggered as its not actually coming at that point and would save this really long and complex perimeter navigation 

Thanks

Hi @Link, that's a good comment and I have wondered about doing that before. It would probably be OK for printers that use z-hop but for those that don't it could leave blobs where the nozzle crossed already printed walls/skins so I think it would have to be an option rather than always behaving like that.

yes, very good point, I tend not to use hop so as you say it could well mark the already printed areas. So as an option would as you say be best.

One other idea I had was it could be good to be able to define (as an option) what combing defines as the skin (in relation to combing), for example it if set 6 top and bottom layers for strength Cura calls each one skin, in terms of surface finish I am pro only worried about combing over the first 2 or 3 after that I am happy for the skin layers to be treated line infilled and can be combed over as the blobs won't show. Just a thought... 

thanks