PVA support not printing correctly

eschter

Posted · PVA support not printing correctly

I'm using an UM 3 extended and I'm having problems with PVA. I found the material in my institution and I think it was not properly stored. It has been in a room for months, not in a sealed bag. I did a hot and cold pull to clean the print core. I noticed grinding, so I cut off the last part of the material.

When I print with PVA as support material sometimes it does not come out at all, other times it is not uniform, as in the pictures below.

Is this a problem with PVA? Can I do something to make the PVA usable again?

Thanks in advance.

20181015_121538.thumb.jpg.b789dc78550e908f539fdbe9b6a9dec6.jpg20181015_155314.thumb.jpg.4701565f2b2da2b525e3b65ab15f0b80.jpg

Posted · PVA support not printing correctly

To restore PVA: Some people dry in oven at I think 100C but that is terrifying because PVA gets a bit soft at 65C so I would dry it on a heated bed set to 60C with a towel over it and leave it overnight.  I have not had to do this yet.  Maybe 60C isn't hot enough to dry it in merely 12 hours.  Maybe 100C won't destroy your entire spool.  But 60C should be safe.  You can put sample amounts on the bed and leave for 3 minutes under a towel to see what happens.  Starting around 65C it gets very bendable and when it cools back to 60C it's in a new shape.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies